Windows 2008 Permissions
Hi, I have a copy of Windows 2008 installed. I have added a user to the Administrators group. Unfortunatly that user doesnt seem to havethe "normal" administrative rights.The usercannot access documents & settings, etc. save files and installing software is unsuccessful since theuser doesnt have permissions to the directories needed to store the software data. Also, when I am loggedon as the administrator I dont see documents & settings. Is the normal? I am very very new to Windows Server 2008 and dont really have to much experience in any server at all. I am testing Windows 2008 with different database clients. Installing Oracle for instance. I was able to install the 2008/Vista copy from Oracles website. However when trying to create a tnsnames file as the user, I received a permissions error. I was able to go into the Admin folder within the Oracle directory and add the user to that folder to grant rights and now can save to that location. However there are other files and folders that the user still cannot access.I cannot find to much on permissions that I really understand. Hope this makes sense. It may not. Thanks for any help offered.
July 23rd, 2008 10:34pm

Hi, Q: when I am logged on as the administrator I don't see documents & settings. Is the normal? A: Both Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 doesn't have a Documents and Settings folder, all the user profiles are instead to be located within the Users folder at the root of the system drive. I think you can modify the permissions on. In the case the Permissions for the Administrators group on the folder is allowed to "Full Control". To access those problematic files and folders, you can configure the permission in the Advanced permissions editor in the Security" tab and grant the user with proper permission and then check if the user can access them again. Based on the experience, this issue may be an UAC compatibility issue, please following steps to disable UAC on the problematic computer, and then check if the issue still exists. 1. Open the Control Panel from the Start menu and select Classic View.2. Double-Click User Account3. Under "Make Changes to Your User Account" click the link labeled "Turn User Account Control on or off"4. Click Continue when prompted "Windows needs your permission to continue"5. Un-select the check box next to "User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer" and then click OK.6. When prompted top restart your computer select Restart Now For more information about UAC, please refer to: Windows User Account Control Step-by-Step Guidehttp://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/0d75f774-8514-4c9e-ac08-4c21f5c6c2d91033.mspx?mfr=true Hope it helps.Your potential. Our passion.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 28th, 2008 1:37pm

Perfect!! Thank U.
July 28th, 2008 8:52pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics