Windows 2008 Network Share Issue
Hi, We have Dell 2950 Server with windows 2008 OS. We have mapped one of the drives of this computer on all the client desktops with XP SP2 Operating System. When users connect to this shared drive, they sometimes disconnects from the shared drive, after accessing the shared drive, they sometimes don't see all the folders in it. Our Network is in domain of windows 2003. We have joined this windows 2008 computer to windows 2003 domain. We are facing this issue since many days. Please help us. Regards Sanjay Sanju
January 20th, 2009 2:00pm

hi sanjay,can you please provide us the following information a) when the drive fails / when clients are unable to access the drive , how would you restore it ?b) provide us the event id when the drive is getting disconnected c) is this drive a SAN / is it normal partition on windows 2008 ?d) when the issue occurs , please try to access the share ( not the share drive ) using \\windows2008server ipaddress and check if its workinge) finally a netmon / ethereal trace when the issue occur is valuable.i dont want to comment the SMB 2 version in the initial phase without troubleshooting the issuesainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 20th, 2009 5:20pm

1.) We restore by restarting the windows 2008 Server Computer. Once restarted, Windows 2008 Share is accessible.2.) While transmitting or receiving data, the server encountered a network error. Occassional errors are expected, but large amounts of these indicate a possible error in your network configuration. The error status code is contained within the returned data (formatted as Words) and may point you towards the problem. Event ID : 20123.) It is a Normal Partition in Windows 20084.) It is not working using IP addressI could not able to trace using netmon / ethereal Please help us.RegardsSanjay Sanju
January 28th, 2009 7:12am

hi there, event id 2012 can occur when there is a comunication prblem, to make it more precise there are 2 components which are responsible for communication a) mrxsmb.sys b) rdbss.sys file i would like you to patch the server with latest security patches at the first place. along with the NIC drivers where in the NDIS driver is responsible for the data communication. With the entire system upgraded to latest drivers, i would like to know if issue exists. if issue exists then you would need to segregate the issue in the following ways a) copying large file to itself / windows 2008 and check if issue occurs b) copying large file from windwos 2008 to windows 2008 / windows 2008 to windows vista ( which both uses smb 2 protocol) c) try changing the NIC card and test the behavior d) Alsoi would like you to change the switch port e) i would like to reboot your server in safe mode and then you can test the behavior which will eliminate the 3rd party service, please perfom this only after you have upgraded your system with all latest drivers and security patches. f) If all the above steps are completed , i would like to get an perfmon dump for anlaysis Cache Memory Objects Paging File Processor Systemsainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 28th, 2009 8:57am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics