Windows 2008 Network Connectivity Problem
Good day all,Firstly, please excuse the lenght of this post, but I really need to explain my issue in ddetail.Iam having a problem withWindow Server 2008 Standard Edition (32-bit) which is installed on a DELL R200 server.At first I joined the server toa Windows 2003 domain(which was already prepared for Windows 2008 - adprep /forestprep etc.) and attempted to promote itas the first Windows 2008DC, dcpromo failed with the following error:"Failed to install Active Directory Domain Services Binaries. The error was: The requested operation failed. A system reboot is required to roll back changes."After rebooting the server, the NIC icon displayed a red "X" as if not connected,the very strange thing is that the server itself was still able to ping other machines on the network and it was still able to get on to the internet, however other machines were not able to ping the server at all.When I moused over the NICicon the followingwas displayed:"Connection status: unknown. The dependency service or group failed."Also, the following "Automatic Startup" services were not starting:Base Filtering EngineDHCP ClientDiagnostic Policy ServiceIKE and AuthIP IPsecKeying ModulesIPsec Policy AgentNetwork List ServiceNetwork Location AwarenessWindows FirewallWindows TimeIf I attempt to start any of these services I receive the following:"Windows could not start the SERVICE_NAME service on SERVER_NAME. Error 5: Access is denied"The only way to resolve this was to pop in the Windows 2008 cd, let it autorun and select the "Upgrade" option, which basicallyreinstalls the OS from Windows 2008 to Windows 2008, thereby repairing the issue at hand.I was finally able to make the server a DC by running dcpromo without firstjoining the server to the domain and after the required reboot all seemed well, all dcdiag tests were passing and relpication with the other DCs was taking place.Over this weekedI had to shut down all our servers due to some electrical work being done, whenI started them again the Windows 2008 server reverted to the same issue with the NIC. I did the "Upgrade" installation again and got the Windows 2008 server back online as a DC, but this of course is not acceptable.I decided to do some testing, so I installed Windows 2008 on a desktop and now I realize that I can restart Windows 2008 without any problems, however once I shut it down and start it up the problem occurs.Has anyone encountered this issue and found a working solution?Any feedback is greatly appreciated.Thank you.Chuck.
January 21st, 2009 9:30pm

hi there,good day..None of them has reported similar probelm. But we need to isolate what is causing the problem.You mean to say when you restart the server all the above listed services goes to stop state ?if so i would like to check the same behavior in safe mode.Also symantec antivirus is making lot of noise now a days, if you have installed , i would suggest you to uninstall and check for the behavior.do you have your NIC drivers updated ?Also please have your PC updated to latest security patches and let us know the result.sainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 22nd, 2009 6:29am

Good day, Thank you for your reply. To answer your questions: Yes, the services al go to a stop state and no other machines can communicate with the server, although it can ping other machines and also get on to the internet. I have already tried this without any anti-virus installed and the results are the same. The server is fully patched and the NIC drivers are updated. Ihave not thus farattempted to start the server in safe mode but I will do so after working hours today. Also, I am not sure if there is some inherent GPO that is affecting the Windows 2008 server, so I am going to put it in its own OU and then block inheritance from all GPOs, I will post my findings thereafter. Thanks again. Chuck.
January 27th, 2009 9:40pm

sure , and thanks for the reply, wen u run the server in safe mode and if issue exists then there mght be some ms service /dll/exe whic might be causng the isse nd the troublehooting wil be differetsainath Windows Driver Development
January 28th, 2009 8:47pm

Hello again, I rebooted the server into safe mode several times but the services still could not start. I also placed the server in its own OU and blocked inheritance as I said I would, this also did not help the situation. I am led to believe that it may have much to do with the Broadcom NIC on the DELL server, since I have encountered other issues with Broadcom and Windows 2008, which were remedied by disabling all "offload" settings on the NIC; however disabling the "offload" settings in this case still does not help. I also intended to use another brand NIC in the server but the DELL R200 servers do not have a free PCI slot to accomodate an additional slot. I am currently trying to source a USB NIC with which I can carry our further tests. Again, I will post my findings. Thanks for the feedback. Chuck.
January 30th, 2009 10:09pm

hey there,I have seen many issues with broadcom NIC drivers , it would be a good troubleshootingstep to eliminate NIC drivers.what happens when u start the service in safe mode.Any event id which r getting registered . sainath Windows Driver Development
January 31st, 2009 2:18pm

hi chuck,did u had a chance to replace the NIC drivers ?sainath Windows Driver Development
February 2nd, 2009 6:46am

Ggood day Sainath,I have not been able to source the USB NIC as yet, I should hopefully have one by tomorrow.As for any event log errors, they reflect the services that are not starting.Chuck.
February 2nd, 2009 6:38pm

hi chuck,did replacing NIC resolved the issue ?sainath Windows Driver Development
February 4th, 2009 3:30pm

Check the network settings to make sure it does NOT think you are connected to a "public" network, when you select the "public" network location, the server drops its default gateway every reboot, among other problems. This happens whether or not the windows firewall is on or off. Hopefully noone would ever have a server on an unprotected ("public") network, which is what this setting is for. Misguided and non-intuitive, for sure.
August 21st, 2009 1:40am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics