Windows 2008 Failover cluster. Printer driver was not installed. Access is denied.

Hello everybody

We have a "clustered" printserver in a two-node Failover Cluster (Windows 2008), and after the installation of SP2 (thats the change Ican thinkof),i'm not able to install new printers (or remove)from another server's or pc's than the server that hosts the printserver for the moment.

Ihave tried from a Vista, the other cluster node and so on..

I have tried installing the printer from \\"printserver"\printers and from the printer console but only succeed ifI do itfrom the "hosting" server
and it doesnt matter what kind of driverI use, always the same result.

(We have 162 printers with 71 drivers that already are installed the way that doesnt work anymore?)

It's realy importantthat it is possiblyconfigure printers from other location than the console of the server, because its a hosted solution and not possibly to give the printeradministrator access to the console.

(I have tried with the firewall shutdown but with no luck)

any ideas??

/Hopeful

August 27th, 2009 3:17pm

Hi,

Thanks for the post.

This issue may occur if the security permissions are inappropriate on the server side.

To troubleshoot this issue, please perform the following steps.

As we know, the printer drivers are stored in the C:\windows\system32\spool\drivers folder. Please check if this folder and sub-folders have the appropriate permissions for the remote users, and also remove the Read Only attribute from all driver files.

Does it work?

If the problem continues, please collect the MPSReport from the printer server.

1. Download proper MPS Report tool from the website below.

Microsoft Product Support Reports
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en

2. Double-click to run it, if requirement is not met, please follow the wizard to download and install them. After that, click Next, when the "Select the diagnostics you want to run" page appears, select "General", Internet and Networking, Business Networks, Server Components, click Next.

3. After collecting all log files, choose "Save the results", choose a folder to save <Computername>MPSReports.cab file.

Please use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the file and then give us the download address.

Hope this helps.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 28th, 2009 9:36am

Hi,

Thanks for the response

I'm having a case with Microsoft for the moment and will come back with the result of that discussion.

//NPan
September 1st, 2009 6:48am

Hey NPan,

are there any updates of the discussion with Microsoft?

Thanks

April 13th, 2010 12:07pm

I experienced the same problem, after searching the net I did not find the answer but this post pointed me in the right direction.  After you create the cluster resource for the print spooler you have to set a dependency for a shared disk resource when you do that it makes a spool folder on the shared disk resource.  The spool folder needs the permissions set.  The default settings do not have write access for anyone.  After setting the permissions I was able to add a printer by accessing the print server from my xp box by using \\servername\Printers and Faxes

Erin

April 29th, 2010 1:21am

Hi Erin, How did you do that?
September 2nd, 2015 12:07am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics