Windows 2008 Deactivating
Hello,We have Server 2008 installed on Hyper-V server. We own a Datacenter VLA key. The Hyper-V servers are in a cluster. It seems like after every failover the machine becomes de-activiated and I have to go through activation again. Does anybody know if there is anything i can do about this?I don't have VLA media install, so is there a way to stop this activation process from kicking off now that the servers are in a production environment?Thank You
October 12th, 2009 10:51pm

Hello mtech456, Before we move on, we will need to collect some information: 1. Where does the problem happens? Does it happen on the Hyper-V host machine or Guest machines hosted in the Hyper-V cluster? If it happens on guest machine, does it exist on all guest machines or just some of them? 2. What do you mean by mentioning that "I don't have VLA media install"? Do you mean you didn't install the Windows Serve 2008 as virtual machines with VLA installation media? 3. What is the Datacenter VLA key you own work for? According to my test, the failover operation won't cause machine becomes de-activated on my side. Consider the servers are in production environment, you will need to verify that the Hyper-V server itself and the Virtual Machines running on it should be activated with valid license. To temporarily stop the activation process, you may try the following command in command prompt. C:\> Slmgr.vbs /rearm You may also refer to the following blog to temporarily bypass the activation process. Temporarily Bypass Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista Activation http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/danielp/archive/2008/01/29/temporarily-bypass-windows-server-2008-and-windows-vista-activation.aspx Hope it helps. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 13th, 2009 9:33am

It seems like the image was created without using the VLA install media. Once we installed it using the VLA media we stopped having issues. We have separate keys. One for VLA and another one not VLA. So when the servers were deployed they used the wrong keys and install media which is causing the Virtual Machines to lose their activation on failover.So we need to redploy the hosts that were installed incorrectly.I apprecaite your time.
October 13th, 2009 4:45pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics