Windows 2008 DNS
I have a windows 2008 dns server that is doing someting curious. Name resolution works for everyone but when I request information from a command prompt using nslookup up the response is always companyname.com and the same IP address, regardless of who I query for yahoo or google. The response is always internal companyname.com and the same IP. I have pretty good skills at Google but I have not been able to find any help for this. That normally means a dumb mistake :P but I am at a lost for what to do in this situation. The DNS is setup to forward information to the ISP's DNS and is currently NAT'ed behind a firewall. Any ideas anyone? Thanks for you help.
June 30th, 2010 6:27pm

Hi Bama64, Have you check your firewall to permit /allow port 53 (DNS's port) from your DNS server?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 30th, 2010 7:09pm

Hello Bama64, If there is no connectivity issue to your dns server, you could try to flushing the dns cache. Flush and reset a client resolver cache using the ipconfig command. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781949(WS.10).aspx For more information about how to configure a DNS server, follow the steps that are provided in the DNS step-by-step guide. Step-by-Step Guide for DNS in Small Networks http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/1/0/b106fc39-936c-4857-a6ea-3fb9d1f37063/Windows%20Server%202008%20Step-by-Step%20Guide%20for%20DNS%20in%20Small%20Networks.doc . If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know. Best regards, Harry This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
June 30th, 2010 10:36pm

Hi Bama Have you tried nslookup'ing and specifying the lookup server? Can you paste your results? The command is below nslookup google.com <your_2008_dnsserver_ip>
July 1st, 2010 9:59am

Thanks for all the answers guys :) 1. I tried opening port 53 it did not make a difference. 2. I flushed DNS no change 3. I swithed servers for the query to our ISP server. The interesting thing here is it replied in the same manner. Being that it is one of the Forward servers I guess. However, the fact it did that leads me to believe our dns is attaching our domain name to the query sent to the forward server and that is throwing everything off here is an example: > server 1.1.1.1 - ISP Public Server IP (Changed) Default Server: ns1.<MYISP>.net -ISP Server name Address: 1.1.1.1 > yahoo.com - Query for yahoo I typed Server: ns1.<MYISP>.net Address: 1.1.1.1 Non-authoritative answer: - Does not return yahoo.com Name: MYCOMPANYNAME.com -Returns the company's domain name which is actually registered but not owned by us. Address: 2.2.2.2 - That company's domain name public ip Aliases: yahoo.com.corp.mycompanyname.com - This is the interesting bit, mycompanyname.com gets appended to all queries. I think the appending of the domain name is throwing it off. I have read where this may be default behavior but Nslookup is returing the mycompanyname.com information for ALL queries. even though clients of the network can surf the web. lol
July 1st, 2010 12:42pm

Here is the dnscmd /info output: C:\Users\Administrator>dnscmd Server01 /info Query result: Server info server name = Server01.corp.mycompanyname.com version = 1DB00106 (6.1 build 7600) DS container = cn=MicrosoftDNS,cn=System,DC=corp,DC=mycompanyname,DC=com forest name = corp.mycompanyname.com domain name = corp.mycompanyname.com builtin forest partition = ForestDnsZones.corp.mycompanyname.com builtin domain partition = DomainDnsZones.corp.mycompanyname.com read only DC = 0 last scavenge cycle = Tue Jun 29 20:11:13 2010 (1277860273) Configuration: dwLogLevel = 00000000 dwDebugLevel = 00000000 dwRpcProtocol = 00000005 dwNameCheckFlag = 00000002 cAddressAnswerLimit = 0 dwRecursionRetry = 3 dwRecursionTimeout = 8 dwDsPollingInterval = 180 Configuration Flags: fBootMethod = 3 fAdminConfigured = 1 fAllowUpdate = 1 fDsAvailable = 1 fAutoReverseZones = 1 fAutoCacheUpdate = 0 fSlave = 0 fNoRecursion = 0 fRoundRobin = 0 fStrictFileParsing = 0 fLooseWildcarding = 0 fBindSecondaries = 0 fWriteAuthorityNs = 0 fLocalNetPriority = 1 Aging Configuration: ScavengingInterval = 168 DefaultAgingState = 1 DefaultRefreshInterval = 168 DefaultNoRefreshInterval = 168 ServerAddresses: Ptr = 000000000036DA90 MaxCount = 1 AddrCount = 1 Addr[0] => af=2, salen=16, [sub=0, flag=00000000] p=13568, addr= 192.168.40.2 ListenAddresses: Ptr = 000000000036DB10 MaxCount = 1 AddrCount = 1 Addr[0] => af=2, salen=16, [sub=0, flag=00000000] p=13568, addr= 192.168.40.2 Forwarders: Ptr = 0000000000378530 MaxCount = 2 AddrCount = 2 Addr[0] => af=2, salen=16, [sub=0, flag=00000000] p=13568, addr= 1.1.1.1 Addr[1] => af=2, salen=16, [sub=0, flag=00000000] p=13568, addr= 2.2.2.2 forward timeout = 10 slave = 0 Command completed successfully.
July 1st, 2010 12:49pm

Hello Bama 64, Thank you for your feedback. Could you please check the Aging Configuration especially the ScavengingInterva l and the DefaultRefreshInterval . Could you perform a test after you have set both to “0” / <scavenge all stale resource records on the server> Set Aging and Scavenging Properties for the DNS Server http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753217.aspx Thanks. Best regards, Harry This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
July 1st, 2010 6:10pm

Are you doing the nslookup from the DNS server or from a client? It appears as if Append DNS suffixes has been adjusted within the TCP/IP properties of the network connection.View my MCP Certifications
July 1st, 2010 7:13pm

Thanks for the replies guys. @Harry When I rt click on the DNS server and select set aging and scavenging for all zones it will not allow me to set the periods to zero. I did go to server > properties > advanced and turned aging off. @Rabid I changed the IP addresses
July 2nd, 2010 12:03am

I wasn't referring to the IP addresses used. I'm referring to the appending of the DNS suffixes on the network interfaces. This will cause multiple DNS lookups for each hostname on the NIC.View my MCP Certifications
July 2nd, 2010 12:33am

Hello Bama64, > Name resolution works for everyone but… < I had ignored this fact. Your dns server is not the cause for this issue. I would follow Rabid Squirrel’s hint. Please point to the NIC’s Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties and select Advanced… Verify the settings at the DNS tab. I think it will be the resolving for this issue. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know. Best regards, HarryThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do NOT vote a post as helpful if it is NOT helpful for you. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question
July 2nd, 2010 3:14pm

Thanks for the help guys. I currently have the first radio button selected: Append primary and connection specific DNS connections without the box below being selected. The other wants me to list what suffix to add. Is this where I make my changes? Or is there some other location I have to make the change in conjunction? I feel this may be what is causing my issues as well. Thanks.
July 2nd, 2010 10:47pm

When in doubt, compare it to a working workstations or an out of the box install. :) We have it setup to Append these DNS suffixes (in order) and the domain listed is the network domain. Your network my have different settings. Make sure "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" is checked. View my MCP Certifications
July 2nd, 2010 11:07pm

I have not had a chance to switch these settings, since DNS is working for the workstations but nlookup is not. It's just one of those weird things I would like to know the answer.
July 12th, 2010 11:33pm

Check the settings, and you may have your answer. :)View my MCP Certifications
July 12th, 2010 11:35pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics