Windows 2008 DC and File Server
Hello, i had a windows 2008 server which was a DC and also a File server and the same time. I decided to move a file server to different Windows 2008 machine. But now i have a problem. Every time i log on to the machine all old drives keep coming up. I have 12 mapped drives, from M to Z and all of them starts with "mycomp-dc/share_folder_here" My new mapped drives should look like "mycomp-nas/share_folder_here" I made a .bat file which deletes all mapped drives and create a new ones with same letter. That doesn't work if i run it as GPO. Also if i run the file when user is logged in it deletes all drives and update them with new ones, but after user restart the PC they change back automaticaly to old file server. I tryed different VBS scripts, also tried to clean registry "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network" and "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2" which also contain old records of mapped drives but it still doesn't help. After restart they all come back. Could you please point me to the right direction where should i look to fix this issue once and for all? Thank you.
December 25th, 2011 7:33am

1. The answer may be here in registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\Shares 2. If you change GPO, do not forget to ran gpupdate /force (Yes, you know it, I put it here for being sure and convergence to working configuration.) Regards Milos
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 25th, 2011 10:10am

Hello, check for any mapped drive in GPO. run gpupdate /force Cheers,http://blog.simaju.fr - Partage de connaissances et retour d'expriences.
December 25th, 2011 10:42am

Hi, Could you please tell us how did you deploy the map drive? If you deploy the map drive via GPP, please try to delete the policy settings first, and then create a .bat file as a logon script to delete the mapped drives. If you deploy the map drive via home directory, please delete the home directory also. If the issue persist, please try to use GPMC.log to verify there is no policy related map old drive. GPMC.log ================== a. On domain controller, click Start -> Run, type GPMC.MSC, it will load the GPMC console. b. Right click on "Group Policy Result" and choose wizard to generate a report for the problematic computer and user account (please place appropriately). (Choose computer and select the proper user in the wizard) If you encounter any difficulties when reading the gpmc.log, please contact me with my account: v-xchen@microsoft.com to get a workspace to upload the information. As there are too many threads, please clearly states the thread name in the email subject, please post the thread link in the email. Thanks for your understanding! Hope this helps! Best Regards Elytis Cheng Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that Elytis Cheng TechNet Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 25th, 2011 10:40pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics