Windows 2008 - Explorer Address shows full path
Summary: Running Windows Server 2008 R2 Mounting 2 different network shares on this server Creating shortcuts for folders that reside somewhere on the share. Want Windows Explorer to ONLY show the folder name in the address bar to cloak the full UNC path --------------------------------- We have network shares mounted; We've created shortcuts for folders that reside in those shares somewhere down the tree from the share root. However, we want to cloak this information so the user can only see the folder name ... not the full UNC path name. On Windows XP, Windows Explorer will only display the folder name. i.e.: My Documents folder shows the shortcuts contained in that folder. When you select the shortcuts within the My Documents folder, Windows Explorer will show only the shortcut folder name in the address bar ... not the full path. (Of course, if you select the properties on the shortcut, or the tool-tips, you'll see the full UNC path and that's okay) However, in 2008 Windows Explorer when you select the shortcut it displays the drive the share was mounted on, the server name, the share name, every folder along the path from the share to the actual shortcut folder. Way too much information for the user! I really only want the currently connected folder to appear in the address bar in Windows Explorer and no path. I've tried: 1. Clicked in the address bar and saw that the breadcrumbs change from full path to full UNC path. (not acceptable) 2. Setting the Windows Explorer Organize->Folder and Search options to classic view. 3. Downloaded a classic view plug-in for windows explorer. 4. Looked for a local group policy to set the explorer address bar to only show the current folder in the address bar (can't find one) 5. Looked for a registry entry for Windows Explorer to do the same (can't find one) 6. Looking for VBasic code to modify the shortcut location value, but that value seems to require a full UNC path. 7. Looked for a way to modify the location on the properties sheet of the shortcut, as this seems to be where the address bar is getting its information (can't find one) 8. Created a namespace for the full UNC path to map to a mounted drive ... I don't think I'm dealing with namespaces correctly in vbscript as I attempted to associate the drive with the full UNC path to the shortcut and assign that to a namespace. Yet still, address bar showed full UNC path. I think the answer is in this message somewhere, but unfortunately I don't have the detailed knowledge on registry, local policy, namespaces, or using shares to make this work. Suggestions? Mary
April 27th, 2011 9:29pm

Great! I'm replying to my own message ... So what we've found is by linking the directory on the network share, we eliminate the full network path in the explorer address bar. mklink /D myNewDirectory \\server name\share name\...\path to directory\ --Mary
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 28th, 2011 4:44pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics