Windows 2003 server Basic steps Troubleshooting
I have windows server 2003 pc, two windows xp clients, and one switch What I have done 01> I installed windows 2003 server. 02> I ve put server IP as a 192.168.1.10 (No default gateway, No DNS all blank) 03> Run dcpromo for AD (In the middle of installation asked about DNS. without DNS installed AD 04> After that I created AD user ID and Password. And client IP 192.168.1.11 05> I try to bring Windows XP pc under domain. But error. ****************************************************************************************************************************************** Please anyone explain to me what did I made a mistake in this step by step…………? Please tell me why we are configuring default gateway and reason for what…………….? Why we are configuring Preferred DNS server, Alternate DNS server and reason for what…………….? kindly requesting you please help me step by step (prtscr or links) this is my email ID soorri@hotmail.com suresh
August 10th, 2010 9:44am

Active Directory requires DNS to function. Probably DNS got installed when executing dcpromo. Configure 127.0.0.1 or its own IP as dns server on the domaincontroller (server), use the domaincontroller's Ip as dns server on the client. A default gateway is needed whan you need an IP connection to an IP outside your own subnet. The default gateway is ip of the router, the "door" from one subnet to another. Default gateway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Configuring an alternate dns server usually is done for fault tolerance. When a dns server goes down, the client can connect to an alternate server.MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 10th, 2010 10:06am

Hello, a functioning domain requires a DNS server. So your choice installing AD without DNS wqas a bad decision. INstall the DNS server role and configure the DNS server for your domain name. ALso configure the Domain controller to use itself as DNS server on the NIC. If this doesn't work start, run dcpromo again to remove AD or install the Windows server 2003 again from scratch. And then install the DNS server role during promotion. You can't add the client as DNS is required for the domain to run correct. A default gateway is only needed if you have the need for access to another network. Internet for example is on the public ip range and the machines you use are in the private ip ranges. To leave the private ip range you must have a gateway, the default gateway. This router knows both sides and is able to connect them. A preferred DNS server will be used to "ask" for other machines, web server for example. If you type www.microsoft.com the preferred DNS server will get that request and will either resolve the name to an ip address so you can reaach the server or will forward(if configured) the request to another DNS server so an answer can be provided to the client requesting that web site. This is a really simple description. More details in: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772774(WS.10).aspx The alternate DNS server is choosen if the preferred is not reachable, so it is a kind of backup. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
August 10th, 2010 10:36am

Thank you very for your reply. I did like this I reinstalled windows 2003 server. I put Server IP 192.168.1.10 Sub 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway blank, Preferred DNS Server 192.168.1.10 ( I put server IP as DNS row same ) Alternate DNS Server IP blank after that I ran the dcpromo. After that I checked in Local are network preferred DNS has changed like this IP 127.0.0.1 again I changed to preferred DNS 192.168.1.10. Create user ID Password in AD. Then in the client pc IP 192.168.1.12 Sub 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway blank, Preferred DNS Server 192.168.1.10 It’s successfully changed to under domain. What ever I have done above it’s correct ……………? Any mistake please let me know Thank you Suresh suresh
August 11th, 2010 1:44pm

Thank you very for your reply. I did like this I reinstalled windows 2003 server. I put Server IP 192.168.1.10 Sub 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway blank, Preferred DNS Server 192.168.1.10 ( I put server IP as DNS row same ) Alternate DNS Server IP blank after that I ran the dcpromo. After that I checked in Local are network preferred DNS has changed like this IP 127.0.0.1 again I changed to preferred DNS 192.168.1.10. Create user ID Password in AD. Then in the client pc IP 192.168.1.12 Sub 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway blank, Preferred DNS Server 192.168.1.10 It’s successfully changed to under domain. What ever I have done above it’s correct ……………? Any mistake please let me know Thank you Suresh suresh
August 11th, 2010 1:44pm

Hello, yes the listed steps are correct. As you already have seen in adding the machine to the domain without any problem. After installing AD the change form the ip address to 127.0.0.1(loopback ip address) is done to assure that a valid DNS server for the domani is choosen. The change to the real ip address is recommended.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
August 11th, 2010 1:47pm

My 1<sup>st</sup> step successfully completed. (Bring Under domain client, Apply Gpo) My 2<sup>nd</sup> step about Internet and DNS and file sharing Hello I have internet provider, they have provide me Static IPs and two DNS server IPs below Static IP 212.102.26.169 DNS 212.102.0.10 212.102.0.11 They asked me put this IP in to client computer. This is before (OLD) client IP IP Address 192.168.1.12 Sub 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway Blank, Preferred DNS Server 192.168.1.10 Alternate DNS Server Blank After changing (New) client IP IP Address 192.168.1.12 Sub 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway 212,102.26.169 Preferred DNS Server 212.102.0.10 Alternate DNS Server 212.102.0.11 Now Clients can able to browse the internet. It is working fine. I did not change in server because server no need internet. My problem is after changed the IPS in the client, they cannot access to another pc or they cannot print through LAN. More details about clients are facing problems .Example one client is trying to logging to another client share folder ABC. He dabble clicked the ABC folder then it will ask user ID Password or other wise not acceptable. They cannot print. I tried like this I removed new DNS IP and I put Old DNS IP 192.168.1.10 Now clients can able to access that folder without any problem and they can print without any problem. Problem is they cannot browse internet. Now both are not working same time do you have any solutions for this? Thank you Suresh suresh
August 12th, 2010 12:41pm

Hello, what you see is expected as the DNS server from the ISP don't know and are not able to configure the internal domain DNS server ip address 192.168.1.10 So in your case remove the external DNS servers on the client machine and configure the FORWARDERS in the DNS management console to the ISPs NDS server 212.102.0.10 and 212.102.0.11 That will assure that clients can resolve names in the LAN and if they need internet access the domain DNS server knows where to send the requests if itself is not able to answer them. Therefore enable the DG on the DC also with the private ip address. The public ip address from the ISP should be the default gateway of the router connected into the internet itself. The router take care about network address translation from 212.x.x.x to 192.168.x.xBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
August 12th, 2010 1:37pm

Thank you for your advice. sorry for delay sending reply, You are telling me do like this I will go to client pc and remove new dns 212.102.0.10, and 212.102.0.11 add Preferred DNS Server 192.168.1.10 after that open the server 2003 pc and open lan TCP/IP put 212,102.26.169 as a default gateway then open dns console ----> select domain forward lookup zone --->properties --- > forwaders add 212.102.0.10, and 212.102.0.11 . that much only. Please tell these steps are correct or any mistakes . suresh
August 22nd, 2010 11:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics