Windows 2003 Standalone and Internet Time issues
Hi, I have a standalone Windows 2003 server which fails to get the time from a local time server in a different network. This worked as long as the server had no connection to our backup network. Here is the scenario: Time server: 10.12.10.2 NIC 1, 10.10.10.1/24 with default gateway 10.10.10.254 NIC 2, 172.16.5.1/24 backup network, no additional routes set up On the firewall (10.10.10.254) I can see NTP packages (UDP 123) being dropped. The strange thing about this is that they originate from 172.16.5.1 which is not routed to any other network. If I try to ping the time server, the source ip of the dropped packages on the firewall ist 10.10.10.1. What I think is that the Windows NTP client uses the wrong source address to build the NTP request package. Is this a known issue or is there any workaround for this behaviour? Thanks, Markus
August 1st, 2011 11:12am

Hiya, Have a look at the following: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490845.aspx Yoiu proberly need to check your registry settings. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223184 Hope that helps you help yourself :)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 1st, 2011 2:16pm

No, unfortunately not. I read these (and many more) pages before posting. There is no documented registry setting which lets me choose the source IP address for w32time. After all, this looks like a bug in Windows.
August 1st, 2011 3:22pm

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters NtpServer Use which one that fits your location best: http://www.pool.ntp.org/da/ Type NTP That will allow to synchronize time from external time source. Or maybe I misunderstood your question? :)
August 1st, 2011 3:56pm

You misunderstood my question, yes. My server's ntp queries originate from 172.16.5.1 but they should come from 10.10.10.1 since 172.16.5.1 not even has a default gateway. The Windows NTP client simply seems to choose the wrong IP when crafting the UDP NTP package.
August 2nd, 2011 10:21am

Hi Torfnase, I am experiecing the same issue wrong source ip address : please could you let me know if you succeed to solve your issue ? Regards
December 28th, 2011 6:40am

I've seen this problem recently on a system running XP SP3. I'm trying to get the time via ntp from a dedicated ntp server. When I select the internet time tab and tell it to "synchronise now" it seems to succeed 50% of the time. Running tcpdump at at the ntp server shows the packets are originating from the ip address of the second LAN configured on the XP machine, which is unrouteable as far as the ntp server is concerned. I'm surprised there isn't a registry tweak for this. My solution is to use a non-MS time client which runs as a service and listens to ntp broadcast packets on the LAN.
February 5th, 2012 5:13pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics