Windows 2003 Server sits on grey sceen while restarting
Hello, We have bunch on HP DL140 G3 servers, we have installed Windows 2003 Std 64bit on few and Windows 2003 Ent 32bit on others. Whenever we try to restart these server through Remote Desktop/VNC/Radmin the server will close all network connections and just displays a grey screen. Untill someone physically restarts the server and the server is back online. There are no softwares installed on these servers except Fresh Windows Server installations. We have installed CentOS/Ubuntu/FreeBSD/RHEL on same servers and when we restart them through SSH they have no issues restarting at all. Can you please help me solve this issue? Thank you. K.Nizam
May 23rd, 2010 1:41am

are these servers part of a domain or Workgroup? Maybe any kind of log off or shutdown script is involved that comes out of a gpo (when the servers are a part of a domain). Such a script can potentially stop your boxes from shutting down. Have you tried the following? 1) Log off. Is it successful or does it hang? 2) if successful, try to restart the systems remotely (shtudown -r -f -t 0 -m SERVERNAME) or by using the computer managment gui or the shutdown.exe -i gui. 3) As these are hp servers, try to update them using the PSP (Proliant Support Pack) to update all drivers & tools. http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/psp/ hth Gregor Stefka /EDIT: And check the eventlogs. Maybe there is any hint what happens when they hang on shutdown...
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 23rd, 2010 11:40am

Hello Gregor, These servers dont have Active Directory installed and are not a part of any domain. They are under Workgroup. I normally restart the server from Start Menu. I checked: 1.The server logs off fine without any issue. 2.Then I restarted the server using shutdown.exe -i gui and the same issue arrise. The server displays message for few secs "server is shutting down" and then the grey screen appears and the server sits there. Nothing appears in the logs. 3.I tried to update the server using Proliant Support Pack as suggested by you, but it doesn't help. Also when the server shows message server is shutting down and goes to the blank grey screen. I use the Integrated iLO Remote management interface to power cycle the machine remotely and once the machine is online I don't see a message of unexpected shutdown. But if I directly powercycle the server through iLO remote management I do get the message asking me the reason for unexpected shut down. Regards, K.Nizam
May 23rd, 2010 2:37pm

Gregor, I don't know if it would be helpful, these servers don't have a Floppy Drive and Windows 2003 Server OS CD didn't have drives for Raid Controller and Network Cards and had to be normally installed through a floppy drive. Our Datacenter tech had to make a Custom CD with drivers built-in and the same CD is used for installation on all servers. Could something go wrong in this? Regards, K.Nizam
May 23rd, 2010 2:43pm

It is possible that the devicedrivers or BIOS issues cause this. There is a kb article that describes how to use boot.log / ntbtlog.txt and save mode to identify the drivers that may cause the problem. check and work trough http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324268/en-us for this. As you said a special raid controller, this is not a HP controller in the hp DL140g3? I would focus on this and check if drivers and firmware are matching and/or any updates are available. Then check bios updates for the DL140G3. HP have released many bios updates since the DL140G3 launched :-): http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1842838&swItem=MTX-c4304c249aea4a478d098b5254&prodNameId=3285485&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=5
May 23rd, 2010 10:45pm

We recently had the same problem with windows 2003 and HP DL140 G3 series. The issue was resolved by turning on 8042 Emulation Support in the BIOS (this setting should be disabled for linux). Just in case anyone else runs into this issue :). thefiend
March 15th, 2011 10:13pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics