Windows 2003 Server and Symantec SEPM manager won't accept incoming connections.
Ok, when update for Windows 2003 server came out, KB973917, it blew up the Symantec SEPM console and it was not accessible. After spending almost 3 weeks working with Symantec we finally got the console where it could login again, however none of the clients can connect to the server to download their updates. The message keeps indicating that they can not connect to the server or that it is down. Now it's one of the AD servers in the environment and everything else on it works fine. While working with Symantec we did reapply windows server sp2 and that fixed the sepm problem, but for some reason we can't figure out why port 8014, default for symantec clients to connect to for updates isn't receiving updates. We removed the local installation of AV, repaired the SEPM and still nothing. Symantec has passed it off as a Microsoft issue. We did remove SEPM all together, ran Symantec's cleaner tool to remove all remnants of it, rebooted. Even removed the IIS role and reinstalled it, but still no luck. The port shows as listening thru the use of netstat, but not accepting incoming connections from domain clients. The domain clients that were reporting to it for updates show the management server as offline. The server is running fine, no issues with any other app. The system worked fine prior to that particular update and Symantec acknowledged that it did mess up their SEPM, but the fix was to reapply sp2 which was done. But here we are a couple of weeks later and I am stumped. Any ideas?
January 27th, 2010 4:14pm

Here's an additional piece of information, it appears that IIS binds 127.0.0.1 to the sepm manager and when the users trying to connect to the ip address of the server they are denied? How can iis be changed to bind to the ip address? When attempted thru the IIS console it just says that it can't be found?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 2nd, 2010 5:55pm

What is the version of SEP/SEPM you run? I had this issue with that KB and version MR4 of SEP the fix was to update to MR5 and reinstall the certificate on the server as without it sep and sepm just does not work at all.
February 2nd, 2010 11:43pm

Hi , I would suggest you posting your query under IIS forum as the engineers are experienced to answer if your problem is related to IIS Http://forums.iis.net I understand you have already worked with symantec regarding the issue , but i would feel you should continue with them or when they said that issue is with Microsoft, have they provided you relevant explanation ? Please check the below link where users have posted the similar issue http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/ms-kb973917-breaks-sep11-management
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 4th, 2010 7:44am

The system was on sepm v4 when the problem occured. It has been upgraded to sepm v5 but still the problem exists. I'll look into the certificate issue. That's the first I've heard of that one. I did also post it on the iis forum too, thanks.
February 4th, 2010 8:58pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics