Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition to R2 2003
Folks, Is there much difference in 2003 Standard edition and r2 standard edtion? If I was to upgarde live server from standard to r2 would it have any impact? I have no need for w2008 server just yet. Cheers
April 23rd, 2010 6:57pm

I wouldn't waste your time. Windows Server 2008 would be a better upgrade as it makes significant changes to the networking stack, including SMB 2.0. Server 2008 is definitely worth the upgrade in every way.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 23rd, 2010 8:29pm

Hello goalie4, Upgrading to any operting system should be driven by business need. In the case of R2, take a look at this article which summarizes new features in 2003 R2. R2 is simply an "Add-on", its not a complete overhaul of the OS. In addition, if you want to take advantage of the features in AD for R2, you will need to extend the schema. http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5907010.html Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
April 23rd, 2010 9:24pm

Hi, Windows Server 2003 R2 is a software update to the Windows Server 2003 operating system. You can find the new features and improvements here: What's New in Windows Server 2003 R2 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773240(WS.10).aspx For more information about how to install or upgrade to Windows Server 2003 R2, please refer to this article: Installing Windows Server 2003 R2 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc786375(WS.10).aspx Regards, Bruce
April 26th, 2010 2:41pm

Hi , I would like to ask , if you are still interested going with windows 2003 ??, I would strongly recommend you to consider windows 2008 for any further upgrades
April 27th, 2010 9:16am

Thanks folks, If I do upgrade to R2 from standard it shouldn't effect in an place existing application?
May 4th, 2010 5:00pm

While it shouldn't cause harm, it is always a good idea to check the compatibility of all existing applications prior to upgrading. Also, make sure you're going to actually use the R2 features; otherwise, you're taking a risk without any gain. Any additional software always has a risk associated with it, particularly if installation fails. Upgrading to R2 without using the features doesn't give any benefit, and it's even worse if your enterprise application doesn't support it. This could result in failures in which support services may not assist you. MCITP Enterprise Administrator and Ent Desktop Support MCTS Desktop Virtualization and Exchange Configuration. CompTIA Sec+, A+, Net+, Project+ CCENT
May 4th, 2010 6:05pm

hi , R2 has the following updates Active Directory Application Mode (ADAM). Automated Deployment Services (ADS). DSML Services for Windows (DSML). Identity Integration Feature Pack (IIFP). Remote Control Add-on for Active Directory Users and Computers Shadow Copy Client Windows Rights Management Services (Windows RMS). Windows System Resource Manager (WSRM). Windows share point services Also the .net 2.0 engine would be included with r2.
May 5th, 2010 6:05am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics