Windows 2003 Server Issue: Double-click on Disk Drive opens IE / Context Menu Default Auto
Good afternoon, we have a little issue we did not find a solution for. It is a bit tricky, but I hope somebody can help. When we double-click a hard disk entry in the Explorer on one of our Windows 2003 Server machines, the Internet Explorer opens, instead of simply opening the drive and listing the content. Another "symptom" is that the context menu (right-click the drive entry, both C: and E: in this case) shows "Auto", instead of "Explore". We already tried re-setting the standard shell (run: regsvr32 / i shell 32.dll) and reviewed the registry settings in \drive\shell, file\shell, folder\shell as proposed on various troubleshooting sites on the Internet, but nothing worked so far. Thanks for any proposal you might have. Cheers, KS
August 2nd, 2010 4:04pm

What happens if you logon as a new local user? (try creating a new account Start|Run|lusrmgr.msc) Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 2nd, 2010 5:18pm

Hi, It seems the system has been infected by viruses. Please update the definition of the antivirus programs and perform a full scan. If the problem continues, please follow the steps below to check if there is a autorun.inf on each drive. If so, delete it. 1. Open Start>>Run and type cmd and press enter. This will open a command prompt window. On this command prompt window type the following steps. 2. type cd\ 3. type attrib -r -h -s autorun.inf 4. type del autorun.inf. Restart your system and your trouble will be fixed. For more information and support on virus issues, I would also like to suggest that you call Microsoft PC Safety telephone number, 1-866-727-2338 (1-866-PCSAFETY). This service offers no-charge assistance for virus-related issues or questions. Also, you can check Microsoft Security and Privacy Web site at: http://www.microsoft.com/security/ Regards, Bruce
August 3rd, 2010 12:35pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics