Windows 2003 Server Enterprise 32 bits does not appears 4 gbs of memory
Hi all,I have a farm Terminal server windows 2003 Ent, all servers are HP proliant DL 380 G3. All are with last patchs and are configured with option /PAE in boot.ini.I have instaled 4 gbs in all servers, in bios appears 4096 gbs but in windows appears 3.7 gbs.Any one can help in this issue.
March 18th, 2009 9:04pm

Hi, Based on my research, some portion of the system memory may be reserved for memory-mapped input/output (I/O) devices, such as hot swap PCI slots and array controllers. The amount of reserved physical memory may increase to 512 MB or more depending on the number of I/O devices that are installed on the computer. In servers supporting PCI Hot Plug, like the ProLiant DL580, ML570, 6400R, 6500, 8000, and 8500, there are User definable parameters that determine how much memory can be allocated for PCI Hot Plug slots. These parameters are part of the PCI Hot Plug Reservation settings selectable in the server's Advance Options of the ROM Based Setup Utility, (RBSU)3. For servers not yet supporting RBSU, these settings can be viewed or modified from the Advanced Mode of the System Configuration Utility, (SCU). Advanced Mode can be entered by entering <CNTRL A> from the SCU main menu. A pop up screen should be displayed indicating, "Advanced Mode is Enabled." There are three levels of support provided by the PCI Hot Plug Reservations; Disable, Normal, and Enabled Extensive. Each level reserves a different amount of memory for every unused PCI Hot Plug slot for hot adding of new PCI devices. In Disabled Mode, no memory will be reserved. PCI devices will not be able to be hot added. In Normal Mode, 40MB of memory will be reserved for every unused slot. In a server like the ProLiant 8500 with eleven PCI Hot Plug slots, this is a total of 440MB that will not be available for the OS and Customer applications. Enabled Extensive Mode reserves 144MB of RAM for every unused slot. In summary, if your server is using hot swap PCI slot, it is expected behavior that the visible memory is less then the physical memory installed. You may contact the manufacturer of the server to see whether some RAM is reserved to support the hot adding of PCI devices. For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles: 279151 256 MB of Physical Memory Appears to Be Missing When 4 GB of Memory Is http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279151 822842 PRB: Total Amount of Physical Memory Is Incorrect After You Hot-Add http://support.microsoft.com/?id=822842 Best regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 19th, 2009 9:42am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics