Windows 2003 Server DHCP servers
Hi, We have 3 servers on the network that provide DHCP. However for some reason when I change something on the main server (DHCP scope, or delete a machine) the changes are no longer propagating to the other 2 servers. Can someone point me to the right place in order to kick start replication again? Thanks
August 10th, 2009 9:27pm

There is not a mechanism for replication of a DHCP database. If you tryusing the same DHCP database on two servers you will end up with ip addressconflicts.If you simply want to move the DHCP database from one server to another youcan use netsh.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 11th, 2009 11:19am

Hi, Read the following articles: DHCP Load balancing: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770535.aspx Recommended tasks for the DHCP server role: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731392.aspx
August 11th, 2009 11:52am

Hello, Thanks for your post here. In native DHCP service, there is not a mechanism for replication of a DHCP database. Could you please explain more about the "DHCP replication"? Do you mean: 1. DHCP servers on cluster 2. DHCP relay 3. The DNS/NetBIOS record replication If possible, you may take a screen shot of the issue. It will help us to understand your problem more effectively. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.
August 11th, 2009 12:56pm

Thanks for your replies! Here is what I have.. 3 Authorized Servers: DC1 Win2003 DC2 Win2003 DC3 Win2000 Server The setup is very basic. 192.168.254.52 to .179 with a few static addresses. When we upgraded to 2003 the IT guy who was working on it setup same DHCP scope on all 3 PCs for he so called "redundancy". I am now assuming that you cant have DHCP servers working in tandem.. ei.. if you reboot 1 server the other gives out IP's.. etc.. I think that was the whole idea behind this. Just to be safe for now I disabled the service for DHCP server on DC2 and DC3.
August 11th, 2009 2:44pm

Hi, Thanks for the update. Yes, as you mentioned, multiple DHCP servers serving clients with the same scope in a broadcast is not recommended. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know. Thanks.
August 12th, 2009 1:24pm

Hi Demitri ZDHCP doesn't propogate/replicate like DNS or WINS. Your Changes and the way your so-called "errors" are happening as expected. There is a Best Practive for DHCP servers. It's called the 80/20 rule when you have two DHCP servers. you create the same scope on both servers. the key is to give out 80% of the scope from one server and 20% from the other. This is done by exluding the 80% or the 20% on the opposite server from the DHCP pool. Since you have 3 servers maybe you can create a pool that does 50/25/25. Hope this helps.Miller-IT
August 12th, 2009 6:35pm

Gotcha, Thanks for all your help. This will definitely help me out. Case closed :)
August 12th, 2009 6:59pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics