Windows 2003 Server - Problem after computername was changed
Windows 2003 server Enterprise with SP2. Hi, I had this problem on 2 servers at the same time.Renamed, rebooted and the symptoms began : While trying to connect through RDP : RPC Service errorSometimes trying to connect to server resources like c$ or trying a remote manage:insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service(sometimes it worked correctly and others didn't)(the task manager showed that cpu and memory were stable almost unused) (Hardware ibm xserie 3650, RAM 4GB, 2 cpus).If the server stayed powered on for let's say an hour almost every application I tried to open received the error : 0xc0000142 on mostly any console based application when trying to open, I received that error message, closing after the error, so I couldn't do much. At the console I received cmd.exe pop-ups even without logging and other applications (I guess some customed or non windows native services).Rebooting only solved the issue for a few seconds or minutes. Booting on safe mode : No error seen.Both servers are joined to a domain. I read a few things at that time, Tried re-applying Sp2 on safemode didn't helped (not recommended, but the only way because on normal boot didn't finish the installation). Tried to apply a hotfix Winsrv.dll didn't helped. Tried to run sfc /scannow to repair protected files, didn't helped. We ended up restoring the system state, we did a reset of the computer objects on the AD, and re-joined the computers to the domain. We're going to try again renaming the server in the next days. Some hotfixes were missing so we updated both servers (windows update, everything updated, the only thing it wasn't updated was the IE6). A coworker of mine suggested me if the server has the same problem again, to try disabling all non microsoft services through msconfig. and enabling one by one (many reboots will take in place), To me it looks more like a virus, but strange thing is that only happened with after server rename so I had to discard that. plus NAV is updated with the latest virusdef, no virus found.Any suggestion for this problem or did anyone had this same situation? I really don't think the hotfixes will prevent this to happen again but we'll see.
February 27th, 2010 11:44am

What roles do servers provide? Are they member servers? Did you rejoin them to the domain? After rejoining try ipconfig /registerdns and then wait 20 minutes or so. Also try connecting by IP address.Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 27th, 2010 7:02pm

Role Servers : SQL Servers, non clustered.First I just renamed. AD was updated correctly without any work from me.When I saw the symptoms : I removed the server from domain, (set it to workgroup), deleted the AD object, re-created the AD object, Re-Joined the server to the domain, still with problems. Then we changed the computer name to the origial, still with the same problems. DNS name replied correctly with the renamed server, the DNS was manually updated. Using the IP Address to connect had the same symptom, plus I connect directly to the console (using RSA/iLO/Drac) and saw the symptoms I described there. I want to find out the cause of the error message, "insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service" This error is seen when just trying to run commands like : dir \\server\c$ or uptime \\server Perfmon/task manager doesn't show mem usage or cpu usage.
February 27th, 2010 9:19pm

Hi Eduardite,To isolate the DNS issue, could you access this server via its IP address?Regards,Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
March 2nd, 2010 10:28am

Hi Wilson, Replying your question : yes I was able to access the both servers via IP Address having the same symtoms : "insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service" For example to run the system state restore from backup I ran it remotely because at some point there was no way to login through the console. So using psexec \\server cmd.exe, connected to it, sometimes getting no response because of the error message and sometimes it did respond. And I get the error message just by using launching dir command.
March 2nd, 2010 2:33pm

Hi Eduardite,Did you receive any related event log when you failed to connect to the server? However, if you assign a differnet IP address to server, does it work? How about your server's firewall settings?Regards,Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
March 3rd, 2010 6:55am

No we haven't tried changing the ip address, but I'm sure the firewall was disabled. And about the event log : ID 10009 DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer <computer name> using any of the configured protocols. (listed 3 or 4 times with different computer names, none the local computer name) ID 20 SAVRT Unable to initialize the virus scanning engine database files. 1120 & 1121 w3svc World Wide Web Publishing Service failed to obtain site performance counters from HTTP.SYS. (these 2 are listed a lot of times and started since the first reboot after the name was changed).
March 4th, 2010 4:40am

Hi,You may perform a clean boot of this problematic server to see if the issue continues.To manually perform a clean boot of your computer in Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK. 2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the following check boxes: o Process SYSTEM.INI File o Process WIN.INI File o Load Startup Items 3. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All. 4. Click OK, and then click Restart to restart your computer. Regards,Wilson Jia This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
March 5th, 2010 9:27am

Thanks, After the updates the rename ran well. So if anyone has 46 patches (on windows update) pending, be sure to install them prior to the server rename.
March 7th, 2010 11:40pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics