Windows 2003 Server - Can I change CPU without reinstalling?
I have a Windows 2003 system with an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU. I would like to downgrade this to an Intel Core 2 Duo - but I am unsure of the impact on the OS. No other hardware would change...just the CPU. Will Windows 2003 Server handle this hardware change or am I facing a reload?
October 14th, 2009 3:54pm

Ideally reinstallation is always the better recommenmdation after changes done on CPU.Raj
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 14th, 2009 4:54pm

HiMost probably you will have to re-install. Windows will have set itself up for single processor operation during the install, I think it uses a different kernel for multi-processor. I thing Exactly same model you won't have any issues....Thanks... Deva --Self-trust is the first secret of success.
October 15th, 2009 2:56am

Hi Dakota17,Thank you for posting in windows server forums, Re-installation of OS is required when you are changing the motherboard , but when you are using same class of CPU it has the drivers which OS supports, so changing CPU on same mother board doesnt require re-installation of OS. sainath !analyze
October 15th, 2009 3:50am

Hi, Based on research, others who upgraded from Intel Core 2 Duo to Intel Core 2 Quad did not have to reinstall OS. However, it is recommended to make a backup before CPU change. Regards, Bruce
October 15th, 2009 11:43am

Hi, Based on research, others who upgraded from Intel Core 2 Duo to Intel Core 2 Quad did not have to reinstall OS. However, it is recommended to make a backup before CPU change. Regards, Bruce The backup, for the sake more than anything else ;) Valerio
October 15th, 2009 5:58pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics