Windows 2003 R2 SP2 - OEM/VLK
Hallo everyone ! I have one member server in Windown Server 2003 SP2 OEM, I need to migrate it into Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 VLK, This because in my firm we have a certain number of licences of Windows 2003 R2. Now I'm not able to install "R2" on OEM server, so I need tho transform it into a VLK. Is there an easy way without reinstalling the OS and loosing all the configuration & programs ? Best Regards Aldo
May 15th, 2008 3:09pm

Unfortunately there is no supported wayto interchangean OEM, trial, retail, or VLK installed Windows Server 2003 system. You will need to reinstall the box from scratch. Using a System State Backup might prove useful to restore user accounts and services configuration. Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 do allow this change.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 15th, 2008 3:51pm

And an unsupported way .... ?
May 15th, 2008 4:05pm

Hi Troublesource, I have a simular issue. I have a OEM version of SBS 2003. I'm testing DR to a different box (which is impossible in OEM form) and read that you can repair the SBS box and enter a VLM license key which would then allow you to move the server image without the need for a fresh install. http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Server/SBS_Small_Business_Server/Q_24724885.html I have just got off the phone with MS licensing who have told me that this above method is not possible? It seems to have worked for these people. Did you get anywhere with this or is there anyone else who can help me?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 17th, 2010 10:26am

There is a sollution. Just use genuine CD with W2003 VLK version. Boot system from mentioned CD and use Repair function which you will see below list of installed operating systems. Due to repair/installation program will ask you for serial number then put your legal one. After installation add R2 and SP2. In case of issue with browser just remove IE8 by use c:\windows\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe. Then download and install updates (one of them will be also current IE version). Enjoy fixed no distrupted system. Best Regards Jarek
June 25th, 2011 7:31am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics