Windows 2003 NLB error
Hi I have 2 Windows 2003 servers that I want in a NLB cluster, but on the second node it always gives the error "could not read configuration from interface". If I try to install the NLB from Node 1 and add node 2 from node 1 I get the error but also if I scrap the NLB and do it the other way around, so, configure it from node 2 then node 1 goes into the cluster fine but node 2 (which is local) gives the same error which makes me think there is something wrong with node 2.Also, when I reboot the server the NIC loses it's IP address so it doesn't sound too great. So the servers are set up with 2 NICs, one for management and one for the NLB NLB = unicast Server1 NIC1 = 192.168.0.1 /24 (for management) NIC2 = 10.1.1.1 / 24 (NLB dedicated IP) = 10.1.1.254 (NLB cluster IP) = 10.1.1.100 (default gateway) Server 2 NIC 1 = 192.168.0.2 (management address) NIC 2 = 10.1.1.2 (NLB dedicated IP) = 10.1.1.254 (NLB cluster IP) = 10.1.1.100 (default gateway) So I when setting it up I use the management IP to connect to the server then choose the NLB dedicated IP, this is when I get the error. It should be easy, I have set it up a number of times but this time it is having none of it! Can anyone help? Thanks Paul
June 1st, 2010 5:21pm

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 4th, 2010 1:23pm

Hi PaulTech75, all NLB nodes are W2K3? Can you please check if the required "NLB" protocol is installed on the NICs but not activated (checked)? Also please try to configure the NLB on a other server then a node member = start the NLB configuration manager from an non-NLB node a.e. DC. Try this out and let me know if your issues are gone :-) Also you do NOT assign the NLB IP manually on the NIC configuration, correct? Please let me know about the results. Regards Ramazan
June 20th, 2010 5:13pm

Hi I managed to fix it, I'm using intel PCI NICs and the integrated broadcom NICs appeared to be causing an issue. I uninstalled the broadcom control suite, disabled the broadcom NICs in device manager and updated the Intel NIC drivers and it seems to be resolved. Paul
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 28th, 2010 8:16pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics