Windows 2003 Certificate Stores
Hey Guys In Windows Server 2003 Certificate Stores, what is the difference between Personal, Trusted People and Other People???jk
July 1st, 2010 12:13am

Personal store (aka My store) is the store where your certificates are stored. Trusted people (aka TrustedPeople) store contains certificates of other entities, that a user trust directly. If a certificate is in trusted people store then it is trusted without performing a validation of the certificate's issuer chain. Other people (aka AdressBook) store contains certificates of other entities, but these certificates are not trusted directly. Martin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 1st, 2010 8:59am

OK..so for a certificate to publish OWA on an ISA server, which is the recommended store for it to be located???jk
July 2nd, 2010 4:33pm

If you need to publish OWA on an ISA server you will need certificate and corresponding private key. These should be located in machine store in "Personal store". Also ISA should trust the issuer of the certificate. Root CA certificate should be located in machine store in "Trusted Root Certification Authorities". Martin
July 2nd, 2010 4:42pm

I have a customer who has their OWA publishing certificate in the Trusted People Store. I know it to be in the Personal as well, but they have it in the Trusted People Store for some reason. It needs to be renewed now. Are their any concerns? Can I renew it by installing the IIS and renew through that as how I nomally do? Is their a way to renew without installing the IIS???jk
July 2nd, 2010 8:47pm

Well it can be in "Trusted People" store because the certification authority is not trusted or because CRL distribution point is not available. I would recommend to renew the certificate and put the issuing certification authority into "Trusted Root Certification Authorities", afterwards you can test publishing if it works leave it that way, if not put the certificate also into "Trusted People"store.
July 6th, 2010 8:39am

Hi, You can refer to the article at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757138(WS.10).aspx for more information about certificate stores This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 6th, 2010 11:17am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics