Windows 2003 - software mirror
I have (2) 80GB drives setup with a hardware mirror for my C: drive. These are drive 0 and 1 in my system. The server boots to drive 0.I got a SMART error on drive 0. I would like to replace drive 0 with a new clean blank hard drive.What would be the steps for this?Here is what I thought would work - didnt.1) Create a second line in my boot ini to boot from drive 1. There is already the default line to boot to drive 0.2) Right click on drive 1 and break the mirror. This kept my C: on drive 1 and created f: on drive 0.3) Shut down the server and place my new blank drive in slot 0 and boot the server - this didnt work. Could not boot to the blank drive and it never asked about trying to boot from drive 1.4) Create a third line in the boot ini on the C: drive (drive 1) that allows me to swap the location in the raid for this drive - making drive 1 now in the drive 0 spot to boot the good mirrored copy that this is. This also did not work.I cannot boot the server to the secondary boot drive
February 17th, 2010 10:36am

The common trick was to create a boot diskette.A boot diskette is a diskette formatted on your Windows Server 2003 (this is important step).It contains files from your system volume:ntldrntdetect.comboot.inintbootdd.sys (optional - contains mass storage driver)Boot.ini has to be edited so that it points to a second drive (I don't remember now, but I believe it was rdsik(1)).I don't know if this would work with UFD now that floppies are getting rare.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 17th, 2010 6:10pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics