Windows 2003: ADMIN account disappeared
Hi Today I removed the role as domain controller on a windows 2003 server machine. I was logged onto the "administrator" account wich I've always been using. After active directory had deactivated the computer restarted and I logged on with the old administrator account. But now the old profile(my documents, content in desktop etc) is gone?! A new profile "Administrator.COMPUTERNAME" has been made, and the old "Administrator" folder is still in Documents&Settings How do I get the "old" account back? Best regards,
November 30th, 2009 11:59pm

Domain Controllers have no local accounts, so you must have logged into the machine as the domain Administrator user. When you removed the dc role, local accounts were allowed. As long as there is another DC in the same domain, you should still be able to logon with the domain Administrator user credentials. Instead of logging onto the NetBIOS name of the computer, logon to the NetBIOS name of the domain. The domain Administrator's profile will be in either the folder administrator or administrator.MyDomain, where "MyDomain" is the NetBIOS name of the domain.Richard MuellerMVP ADSI
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 1st, 2009 2:08am

You should be able to copy your documents, favorites, start menu, etc. from the Administrator.DOMAIN folder to the Administrator.COMPUTERNAME folder.If there are permission problems, you can log in as DOMAIN\Administrator and do it. If you have removed the computer from the domain completely, you will have to take over ownership of the folder and contents first.Registry settings are a little more involved, but can be exported and imported.
December 1st, 2009 3:56am

Hi There,Please follow Richard and Brain suggestion.When you demote your DC , your system will not be participating in domain and eventually after a restart you will be able to login only in workgroup and then you must add your workgroup computer to a domain.So only way is as said by brian is to copy your files ( as per your current scenario) .
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 1st, 2009 7:55am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics