Windows 2003, Big file copy operation: Working Set Quota
Hi Folks, We have the following scenario: - Windows 2003 Enterprise x64, SP2- HP DL585, - Opteron 2.2Ghz CPU, ~25% average- 8GB RAM, ~40% free- SQL 2005- Gigabit LAN As part of backup procedures, we use SQL Manager to create a daily database dump, wich is ~40GB in size. This big file is then copied across the LAN to another server running W2k3. Each ~2 days the server stops responding at random during the copy operation, requiring a reboot. The following message appears: "Cannot copy daily_dump.bak: Insufficient quota to complete the requested service" After checking *disk* quotas and network configuration, nothing abnormal was found. Diggin' deeper into MS Support Site and Google, we've found that the problem is not related to "disk" quotas, is related to Windows' "Working Set" ------------------------------------Windows Error 0x000005AD - 1453 Insufficient quota to complete the requested service. ERROR_WORKING_SET_QUOTA------------------------------------ We are unable to proceed with daily tasks. Tape backup is already part of the internal policy, but we need to copy this file over the LAN. Any help and insight will be *vastly* appreciated. SE
January 24th, 2008 5:28pm

Which command are you using to perform the copy? If you are using the command line "copy" command, try xcopy instead. If that does not work, then you need to adjust the privileges for the service account that is doing the actual copy. To do that, open your favorite security policy editing tool (secpol.msc if you are doing it locally). Expand Local Policies and then click on User Rights Assignment. Make sure that the account used for the copy has the "Adjust memory quotas for a process" and the "Increase a process working set" privileges. This latter hack will only work if the process is aware of the flaw, but I think it is. Try it and let us know what happens.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 28th, 2008 7:50pm

Hello Customer, Thank you for using TechNet Forum. Please note, this forum is for General questions on Windows Server 2008. As this issue seems to be related to SQL Server, I suggest you try to post this issue to the SQL Server Newsgroup for your best serve: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.sqlserver.server The newsgroups can either be reached with a NNTP client or through the web. The URL to the General Windows Server group is: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.general Based on some research, I suggest you take a look at the following kb: INF: Proper SQL Server 6.5 Configuration Settings: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q166967/ Besides, you can access the following website for information about SQL Server. SQL Server's Homepage: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/ Thank you. Regards, Chang Yin Microsoft Online Community Support
January 29th, 2008 1:57pm

The post is clearly about Windows Server file copy operations, and I am having the same issue with 2008.
March 15th, 2008 9:41pm

Hi Folks lalit this side i just want to confirm that r u using tape drive for storing if not is there (in w2k3 ) sufficient space for storing data
October 11th, 2008 1:37pm

Hi folkslalit againR U check the bad sactors of both disk if you then ok it's the first stepafter doing that check that which port the server using for sending data or another server for receiving the data if ports is ok then check that is there any another process runing or scheduling which is using the same port like (virus scaning SOL query or others bla bla bla...)Plz do this the tell me if you need take my no just type code world 123456or yes folks plz also check the service pack of both systems
November 7th, 2008 5:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics