Windows 2000 server cannot access resources on Windows 2003 Domain
I have 2 domains in the same building with 2 separate domain controllers. Both are Windows 2003 servers. I have 1 Windows 2000 server used as an application server that is not able to access resources on either of the 2003 domain controllers. However, the 2003 servers can access resources on the 2000 server without a problem. When navigating to the 2000 server through MS Windows Network, the servers show up. When I go to click on either of the servers in either of the domains, I get a login prompt. There is no username/password combo that I can use to access the resources. I've seen something similar regarding security policies with XP workstations accessing resources on the 2000 server but I cannot find the answer for the life of me. Any ideas?
November 13th, 2009 9:12pm

What domain is the windows 2000 server a member of?When navigating to the 2000 server through MS Windows Network...what computer do you use to do this? What domain is it a member of? What domain is the user id a member of?What are the two Windows 2003 Domains?Is there are trust between these domains?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 13th, 2009 10:14pm

Windows 2000 doesn't support forrests and hasn't got an Enterprise Admin account. Looks to me it would've been better the other way around; two dc's on win 2000 and the application server on the win 2003 machine.This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranties, and confers no rights.
November 15th, 2009 9:38am

Windows 2000 doesn't support forrests and hasn't got an Enterprise Admin account. Looks to me it would've been better the other way around; two dc's on win 2000 and the application server on the win 2003 machine. This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranties, and confers no rights. This is completely and utterly untrue. Windows 2000 most definitely supports forests and in a Windows 2000 Active Directory forest there is also most definitely an Enterprise Admin account. Your suggestion does nothing to help solve the problem.Paul Adare CTO IdentIT Inc. ILM MVP
November 15th, 2009 11:33am

"I've seen something similar regarding security policies with XP workstations accessing resources on the 2000 server but I cannot find the answer for the life of me."From what I still remember, it took quite a while before a network was even possible between the two. In the way xp would be the client."This is completely and utterly untrue. Windows 2000 most definitely supports forests and in a Windows 2000 Active Directory forest there is also most definitely an Enterprise Admin account. Your suggestion does nothing to help solve the problem."Apparantly it does, yes. Good thing you noticed so soon; so sorry.Major changes in group policies and user permissions have been made. My post was trying to suggest adding user accounts to the policies and permissions in the 2008 machines. The idea of forests was introducedwith server 2003 and I can't remember an 'enterprise account' on win 2000. The're is bound to be trouble just because of that.Perhaps the questioncould bemore spefific, it's hard to pin a specific problem. I was just thinking out loud having some ideas.ShemsThis posting is provided "AS IS" without warranties, and confers no rights.
November 15th, 2009 12:37pm

From what I still remember, it took quite a while before a network was even possible between the two. In the way xp would be the client.No, this is also incorrect.The idea of forests was introducedwith server 2003 Once again this is completely incorrect. The concept of a forest has been around since Active Directory was first available, which was when Windows 2000 was released.There's nothing wrong with suggesting solutions however, it is kind of important that one gets one's facts correct before doing so.Paul Adare CTO IdentIT Inc. ILM MVP
November 15th, 2009 3:32pm

Hi James Triplett,How's everything going? In addition to others suggestions, please confirmthe Windows 2000 application server is joined to either of the domains. If not, please ensure that you type the username with the correct format (DomainName\Username) when you trying to access the domain resource. If it does not help, please let us know the exact error for furtherresearch.I look forward to your response.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
November 17th, 2009 7:38am

Did anyone ever figure this out. I have the exact same problem. I have an SBS 2003 domain controller and a Win 2003 R2 domain controller in the same domain. I can access all computers in the same domain including other Win 2003 servers but cannot access the domain controllers from a Win 2000 server. Anybody have any further thoughts?
January 13th, 2010 10:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics