Windows 2000 Server Issue
I have a windows 2000 server that is a DC running DNS; DHCP and WINS, but also runs a few applications. The NIC and motherboard failed due to a power outage caused by a lightning stiking an electrical pole. We did not get notification of the power outage due to it being a weekend and it also took down phone lines into and around the building until after the power had died in the UPS keeping everything alive in the building. After replacing the server with a twin server and moving the drives over to the new server, all started to boot well until it got to the "applying security policies" at the startup screen then everything came to a halt, we let it sit for over an hour before turning off and starting in safe mode of which it starts fine in save mode with network without locking up, but will not start in normal mode either on or off the network. I have changed all network settings to match the NIC previously but this does not get me any further in the startup of anything. I can see all volumes on that where present before the problems but am stuck in figuring out exaclty what service or services are creating the issue of the DC coming back online as normal. The NIC which is new due to it being integrated into the motherboard is the only real change, does anyone have an idea on what needs to be changed to fix the issue we are having? Any ideas are welcome!
July 27th, 2011 6:26pm

Check the Event Log for errors, you should be able to see the system errors even in safe mode. There you can find what is affecting your machine!! Michael Reyes
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 27th, 2011 7:38pm

Recovering your DC in this manner isn't supported and I'm suprised it runs at all. Possibly wrong HAL and chipset drivers. If it were me I'd build a new box and attempt to transfer all roles over to new server. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324801 Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
July 27th, 2011 10:25pm

Hi, I would like to confirm what error message was encountered? Based on the current situation, you may refer to the following Microsoft KB articles for how to troublehsoot the startup issue. How To Troubleshoot Startup Problems in Windows 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315396 How to troubleshoot the "NTLDR Is Missing" error message in Windows 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318728 Regards, Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com . Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 27th, 2011 11:03pm

there is no error that shows itself on screen, the system just hangs after it goes through "starting network services", then brings up the "applying security policies" and then hangs at this screen. I have let sit for up to an hour with no response from the system at all, wel also lose keyboard and mouse response at this point. we can start the system in "safe mode with networking" and it will load and allow us to login but of course not of the networking services will start.
July 28th, 2011 10:16am

Hi, Can you launch CMOS via keyboard? If you also cannot use keyboard to boot into BIOS settings, your motherboard can be damaged. If so, please diagnose the hardware with your hardware vendor. Regards, Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com . Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 2nd, 2011 4:01am

Hi, I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help. Regards, Arthur Li Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 7th, 2011 10:01pm

Hi, We have tried to bring this system back to life using 2 different MB in 2 different chasis all being the same model from Dell including having Dell come out on site and replace parts to no luck. We have decided to not spend any more time trying to recover the W2K domain and rebuild the server under new O/S and move it our main domain under W28, more of a challenge to move all the applications but what would our field be without a challenges and change? :) Thank to all who submitted infomation and help, greatly appreciated but time to move on the newer issues. Thanks again!
August 11th, 2011 3:24pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics