Windows 2000 Server Critical Security Issues
I realize that Windows 2000 Server is no longer supported, but I still have a Win 2000 Box running on my firewalled network. I have current anti-spyware, malware and anti-virus software running on the box and it is operating without any problems. Are there any resources online where I can check for new critical security issues now that Microsoft doesn't provide this information?
August 3rd, 2011 1:54pm

Hi, Support for Windows 2000 ends on July 13, 2010. We strongly recommend that you should migrate your server to Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2. The Windows 2000 End-of-Support Solution Center (http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1131) is a starting point for planning your migration strategy from Windows 2000. Best Regards, James
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 4th, 2011 2:56am

For legacy systems such as Win2K, you might want to look into applying a product such as SolidCore, which basically prevents any modification of OS system files & only allows whitelisted processes to run. It would probably take some effort to get your application working with it, but since, as James indicates below, MS will be ceasing all security updates (and the fact that Win2K is inherently insecure to begin with) something like SolidCore is probably your only option in terms of keeping this box as it is without putting your organization at risk.
August 4th, 2011 9:14am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics