Windows 2000 AD and terminal Server
I'm under the impression that Windows 2000 terminal Server Licenses must reside on an AD server, is this correct? We have 2 license packs for a total of 50 running on our last win2k server which is also an AD server. I want to get rid of this server and bring my domain up to 2003 native but we are still using Terminal Server Licenses Services on that box. Can these licenses be moved to a 2003/2008 member server? If I had to I could build a 2003/2008 AD server and transfer the lincenses. I have no disaster recovery if the hardware on that TS Server dies other to rebuild on newer hardware. Thanks
December 23rd, 2010 11:49am

Its not required that the TS License role must run on an AD server but its a good configuration if you have multiple TS servers as they will be able to locate the Licensing server without manual configuration. If you have your licensing information, you can move this role, install the TS Licensing role on the new server, then apply the licenses. If you have trouble activating the role or licenses, you can call the Microsoft clearning house. The wizard provides the 800 number to call. I havent done this process in a few years myself, so I am working off of recolection. I ran through this process three times and on each ocasion, the process of moving the TS Lic role was smooth. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 23rd, 2010 5:08pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics