Windows 10 upgrade

I am using MSSQL 2008R and just loaded the Windows 10 upgrade from Win 7. Everything so far is working except I can't access MSSQL instance! I can't serve my customers. I can't access via Visual Studio or MSSQL Management studio. Any advice would be appreciated.  The signon screen comes up in MSSQL management and when I attempt to sigon I get "Cannot connect to <instance name>. A network related or instance specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible ...."

July 30th, 2015 10:09pm

This has been a known issue with MSSQL since the beginning of the Windows 10 Previews.

To be the broken record, and state the obvious, I hope you backed up your instance before performing the upgrade (Note that Microsoft ALWAYS tells you to back up important data before upgrading!) as you need to completely remove and reinstall MSSQL server.

Assuming you haven't backed it up, you will be able to restore your computer back to Win 7

Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Go Back to Windows 7

This should put you back into a working state prior to the upgrade. Assuming this is the case, use the SQL Management Studio to create a backup file of your SQL Instance, then perform the upgrade again. You may want to uninstall SQL first. After the upgrade, install SQL again and restore the data from the backup file.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 30th, 2015 10:31pm

Hello,

SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2 are not supported on Windows 10 as mentioned on the following Microsoft Support article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2681562

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

July 31st, 2015 12:22am

This has been a known issue with MSSQL since the beginning of the Windows 10 Previews.

To be the broken record, and state the obvious, I hope you backed up your instance before performing the upgrade (Note that Microsoft ALWAYS tells you to back up important data before upgrading!) as you need to completely remove and reinstall MSSQL server.

Assuming you haven't backed it up, you will be able to restore your computer back to Win 7

This should put you back into a working state prior to the upgrade. Assuming this is the case, use the SQL Management Studio to create a backup file of your SQL Instance, then perform the upgrade again. You may want to uninstall SQL first. After the upgrade, install SQL again and restore the data from the backup file.

July 31st, 2015 2:28am

July 31st, 2015 2:28am

Hello,

SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2 are not supported on Windows 10 as mentioned on the following Microsoft Support article:

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

July 31st, 2015 4:19am

Hello,

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

July 31st, 2015 4:19am

Hello,

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

I didn't even consider that one. Either way you will probably have to revert back to be able to recover/backup the instance. Should have no problem recovering the instance in a newer SQL version.
July 31st, 2015 4:15pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics