Windows 10 clients , Invoke-GPUpdate The system cannot find the file specified.

Problem using Invoke-GPUpdate Powershell cmdlet from my PDC emulator (Server 2012 R2) against Windows 10 clients.
My Windows 7 clients are working fine with Invoke-GPUpdate as expected for hours on end and through multiple reboots.

In my test lab, for the first 7-10 or so minutes after deploying my Windows 10 RTM Enterprise clients via SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 CU1, the Invoke-GPUpdate Powershell cmdlet works beautifully.
Then running again sometime shortly afterward I receive the following error.

PS C:\Users\Admin01> Invoke-GPUpdate -Computer WIN10VM01 -RandomDelayInMinutes 0
Invoke-GPUpdate : The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
At line:1 char:1
+ Invoke-GPUpdate -Computer WIN10VM01 -RandomDelayInMinutes 0
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Invoke-GPUpdate], FileNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Unspecified,Microsoft.GroupPolicy.Commands.InvokeGPUpdateCommand

If I revert my Windows 10 Virtual machine client to just a few minutes earlier when it worked... it will work again for a few minutes and then once again fail with the same error.
GPO wise I only have the unaltered "Default Domain Policy" and "Default Domain Controllers Policy"
For simplicity I've disabled the firewall on the client and the server from which I am running the Powershell command.

I've compared running services before and after, started services that are no longer running and stopped others that where not. So far I haven't found anything. I've also checked the Event viewer on the and so far found nothing pertaining to the error.

Alternatively I've used
Invoke-command -Computername 'WIN10VM01' -Scriptblock { gpupdate /force }
and it works fine without error.
And running GPupdate /force locally on the Windows 10 client works fine.
And, as I stated earlier my Windows 7 clients are working fine with Invoke-GPUpdate as expected for hours on end and through multiple reboots.

I've seen this post listed as a possible solution
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/253268
I went as far as to delete all but the original  "Default Domain Policy" and "Default Domain Controllers Policy" GPO's and find that I have the corresponding GPO GUID folders in "\\lab\sysvol\LAB.LOCAL\Policies" plus two additional ones I can't account for, which I'm not sure if that could be an indication of a problem.

Any suggestions based on you all's experience would be appreciated as I continue to research the issue myself.

September 5th, 2015 6:44am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics