WindowsPhotoGallery crashes on each start (dump files available)
( info: all referenced files can be found here )Description: 0. I just installed "desktop experience" (from server manager)1. start then windows photo gallery (Version: 6.0.6001.16510) the first time2. and it crashes, see: "2007_05_11_crash_at_first_start.jpg"3. a dialog popped up, telling: "licence error - this program is not licenced for execution on this pc"[4. in the dialog I click "check online"5. I am send to the genuine website and click there on "check windows" - see "02_WGA_check_windows.jpg"6. then I am directed to the validity check of: VISTA (I expected actually Longhorn) 7. and the next click brings me an error page: "04_no_website_available.jpg" ]Steps I used to reproduce the issue:8. then start again the application and I get: "05 restart_error.jpg", telling me that there was a bad error9. and then it crashes again10. unfortunately no dumps are saved in "problem reports"11. but with the debugger I created dumps (see also: "callstack_mini_for_first_dump.txt"), see files "dump1_*"12. I went again to the genuine website and now my windows was recognized and I was told: "you can access now all ressources for original windows users"13. but still Windows Photo Gallery crashes on start up, see dumps in "dump2_*"info:- I did not yet put in my product key in Longhorn and the pop up from step3 might indicate something regarding this (but since I have no source code, I can not know for sure)- I was logged in always as admin, but started it also with "run as admin" - but still it crashedrisk I see: I can not use Windows Photo Gallery at all and to experience a crash at first start of an application does not build trust for Windows Photo Gallery (you know the first 5 secs are the important ones) or Longhorn.Other information:- On request, I can provide more info (msinfo32, full dump, ...)- I did not check how it would behave when I activate windows (reason: so I can experience other failures of other applications - but in about 27 days, I will retest this )What would I like to know?I would like to know if this happens because I have not yet registered(btw: you can check, I have an original product key)My Basic System Information:Microsoft Windows Server Code Name "Longhorn" Datacenter6.0.6001 Service Pack 1, v.126 Build 6001AMD Athlon Xp 1800+, 1,25 GB RAM(more info available on request by a msinfo32 file)Erkan Yilmaz
May 12th, 2007 2:39am

Same problem here. Windows Photo Gallery crashes on every start. Longhorn x64 Build 6001. AMD64 X2 3800, 2GB DDRII
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 31st, 2007 3:03pm

Thank you for the detailed post and error information. I have verified this as a reproducible problem with Windows Server 2008 Beta 3. I will ensure that this bug is logged so that it can be fixed before RTM.
June 1st, 2007 1:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics