WindowsAzure.Storage 5.0.2 is broken (missing applicationHost.config?)

I have a worker using WindowsAzure.Storage 5.0.0 at the moment, and it works fine when deploying locally. Upgrading WindowsAzure.Storage to the latest 5.0.2 causes the WebRole to go blue in the Compute Emulator UI with "Role state Aborted", and EventViewer's Application log has a tell-tell sign (IIS Express):

The worker process for application pool 'UUID' encountered an error 'Cannot read configuration file' trying to read global module configuration data from file '\\?\C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\dftmp\Resources\UUID\temp\temp\RoleTemp\applicationHost.config', line number '0'. Worker process startup aborted.

The folder mentioned doesn't have applicationHost.config file indeed, unlike other roles that don't use Storage - and any attempt to copy the file in there ends up with the file disappearing moments later.

I think the 5.0.2 update is bad and broken. Please help?

September 6th, 2015 2:08am

Hello,

We are researching on the query and would get back to you soon on this. I apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your time and patience in this matter.

Best Regards,

Kamalakar

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 6th, 2015 2:22pm

Hi BOBAH123,

Take a look at this thread/reply. It can be that you have some web.config section configuration issues.

Hope this helps!

September 6th, 2015 2:26pm

Carlos, that's not it. My Web.config has:

<add type="Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Diagnostics.DiagnosticMonitorTraceListener, Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Diagnostics, Version=2.7.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" name="AzureDiagnostics" />

which matches the actual DLL, and removing it doesn't fix the problem with 'applicationHost.config' that I detailed above.

September 7th, 2015 3:02am

Figured it out finally. There web role project depended on a "common" library, which also used AzureStorage, but version 5.0.0 (it wasn't updated to 5.0.2). As soon as I upgraded both projects, the web role started working again. The manifestation of the mismatched dependencies with disappearing applicationHost.config and "Aborted" role status is very strange, and opposite of helpful.
September 10th, 2015 1:57am

Figured it out finally. There web role project depended on a "common" library, which also used AzureStorage, but version 5.0.0 (it wasn't updated to 5.0.2). As soon as I upgraded both projects, the web role started working again. The manifestation of the mismatched dependencies with disappearing applicationHost.config and "Aborted" role status is very strange, and opposite of helpful.
September 10th, 2015 5:56am

September 10th, 2015 5:56am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics