Windows.old
Would there be any genuine reason why I cannot delete the system folder and program folders from a drive that is no longer in use as a System Partition?
February 24th, 2008 1:56pm

It would seem that only the names really matter.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 26th, 2008 12:23am

Hi, According to the symptom listing your post, it seems that it's a permission related issue. Please try the following: 1. Logon as Administrator, check the NTFS permission of the 'old' system folders and program folders to ensure Administrators has Full Control permission. 2. If Administrators does not have the proper permissions, please take ownership and then grant Full Control permission to test again. Best wishes --------------Morgan Che Microsoft Online Community Support
February 26th, 2008 12:49pm

Hi, According to the symptom listing your post, it seems that it's a permission related issue. Please try the following: 1. Logon as Administrator, check the NTFS permission of the 'old' system folders and program folders to ensure Administrators has Full Control permission. 2. If Administrators does not have the proper permissions, please take ownership and then grant Full Control permission to test again. Best wishes --------------Morgan Che Microsoft Online Community Support
February 26th, 2008 12:49pm

Yep for sure its a permission issue, as i have installed VISTA and also Win2k8 and was able to delete the windows.old folder easily. In one of the cases yes i rememeber that i was not able to delete the folder, i took the ownership to the administrator account and then was able to delete the folder. HTH, Tarek _____________________________Tarek Majdalani Computer Engineer, CIW, MCSA: Security 2000/2003, TS: Windows Vista MVP -- ISA Firewalls Website : http://www.elmajdal.net/Win2k8
February 26th, 2008 12:58pm

Thank you for your reply. It appears that I cannot remove the inherited permissions which is understandable, however surely on the client this must not be an issue if a working system "partition" exists. Thanks again for your time
February 27th, 2008 11:37pm

One must laugh at the replete and utter stupidity of this thing called an Operating System, since besides the fact that it cannot remember a view at the file system level, it tries for the life of itself to enforce a security paradigm, which after the fact of an installation that has been and gone for so long; it allows anyone to walk up to it with removable media and do whatever they want including ruin what it was designed to protect in the first place with next to no knowledge at all.
March 2nd, 2008 8:48am

Permissions, yeah right for a system which has long been blown to dust.Even icalcs doesn't work, what a Joke!
May 30th, 2008 4:37am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics