Windowns Server 2003 - no space on C Drive
I am not very technical and did not realize Microsoft Tech Support was not available on weekends. I have a small business using Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2 Standard edition- server used only as a file server. There is no space on C Drive - cannot backup data - cannot receive updates - ran disk clean up which freed up some space which disappeared shortly after. What steps can I take to see why this is happening? Please explain as clearly as possible since I am not that technically savvy. Thanks
May 16th, 2010 12:19am

How large is the partition? Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 16th, 2010 1:28am

If you have access to another hard drive, you can add it to the server and move the pagefile. The pagefile can be several GB in size, depending on the amount of RAM in the system. The downside is that you will have some limitations in regards to collecting a dump from a BSOD. Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
May 16th, 2010 5:13am

Hi, Above all, please check the free space on drive c. If the error is caused that drive c is run out of space, here are some steps you have have a try: 1. Run a disk cleanup to see if there is any temp file can be deleted --- disk cleanup will clear temp files, which may be recreated. 2. Disable Hibernation feature which will help free some spaces. 3. If there is any third party program which will help backup files, delete the files or move to other place. 4. Change the total shadow copy size lower. 5. Reinstall programs to another drive. Please let us know the total space of the drive c. If it is not large enough, you may need to consider get a larger hard disk.
May 17th, 2010 12:21pm

see this article, very clear http://www.partition-magic-server.com/disk-space/no-space-in-c-drive.html
March 23rd, 2011 1:56pm

Yes, Shaon Shan gave the solution to free up disk space, I've also tried the methods, they cannot free up much space and waste so much time. I've also searched other ways, finally, I decided to increase the disk space of c drive, problem solved within about 10 minutes.
April 27th, 2011 7:21am

Hi, It is late here and this is the kind of thing I like to think through for a while before acting. It's better - and easier - to do it right the first time than try to undo a goof later on. You sound like you are being (very sensibly) cautious, I'll throw some ideas out there to get you started. Someone else is likely to come along with some other ideas, but hopefully this will get you started. The tutorial which may be of help: Extend System Partition on Windows 2003 Easily and Safely http://www.partition-magic.org/windows-server-2003/extend-system-partition-windows-server-2003.html
May 9th, 2011 1:56am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics