Windown 8 VPN Error 798: A certificate could not be found
We've been using certificate based VPN authentication with Windows 7 for a while without any problems. Now, as a part of testing for Windows 8 upgrade we've discovered that Windows 8 fails to establish VPN connection with error 798: A certificate could not be found that can be used with this Extensible Authentication Protocol. Builds 8400 and 9200 have been tested. Token: eToken Java Pro 72K, Software: SafeNet Client 8.1 SP2 (8.1.425.0) Certificate is issued using Windows Server 2003 Enterprise option. Event log provider no details. Any ideas ?
August 10th, 2012 4:16am

Can you provide some details on the certificate the client is using? Brian
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 11th, 2012 4:41pm

Hi, Thanks for your post. Firstly, please ensure that you download and install the RootCA certificate of your domain in Windows 8. Make sure it placed in Trusted Root Certificate\Certificate store. Best Regards, AidenAiden Cao TechNet Community Support
August 12th, 2012 10:51pm

Hello Aiden, The machine (Windows 8 test) is a member of the domain, so the RootCA certificate is already installed. I can actually perform Windows SmartCard Logon on this machine. It's only the VPN connection that doesn't work.
August 14th, 2012 3:29am

The same problem here. Safenet Client 8.0 SP2, eToken Java Pro 72K, and Windows 8 fails to estabilish VPN connection - immeadiatelly when I plug in the token - with error 798. The certification has been added manually to the computer, and the token works well to sign in... Is there any solution for this? Thanks!
August 22nd, 2012 11:02am

We're having the same issue with Feitian ePass2003 tokens, again coming from a fully functional RRAS setup on Windows 7. We've also tried rebuilding our RRAS client using CMAK on Server 2012, trying various permutations with the new advanced certificate selection options, again with no luck. I'm wondering if it's related to the other certificate issue I've raised here but had nothing concrete on (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/w8itprosecurity/thread/e3228adc-6bf9-4317-96a7-6060d8a28ddb). Makes me think the new certificate code hasn't been overly well tested when standard scenarios like these are broken...
August 29th, 2012 4:55pm

Hello, we have talked to SafeNet about this issue and Safenet Client 8.0 is not compatible with windows 8. To quote their answer: "Windows 8 support will be included in our next release of SAC which SAC 8.2 for windows. This is planned to be release in Q4, probably at the end of October."
September 24th, 2012 7:30am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics