Win Srv 2008 R2 and BranchCache Hosted Cache
Hi,We are planning to implement BranchCache feature in Windows Server 2008 R2 & Windows 7 environment. We have several sites having only one server, Domain Controller. Is it possible / recommended / supported to use the DC as Hosted Cache server (please see: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/branch-cache.aspx)?Thanks for your help.Best regards,Toni
November 25th, 2009 2:59pm

Hi Toni,Thank you for posting in windows server forums, I dont see any harm installing branch cache on DC with respect to installation. Because required OS is windows 2008 R2 along with the feature , But you should be aware of the load which is important , after you implement the DC as hosted cache server all the clients will start communicating with DC and also your DC is responsible for other operations as well.If you ask my opinion its better to install it on a member server.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 26th, 2009 7:40am

Hi Toni,Based on my test, it is possible to use the DC as the Hosted Cache Server in the Branch Office. As Sainath said, the DC should be also responsible for other operations, which means that it may affect the system performance if we put them on the same machine. So, we recommend installing Hosted Cache Server on a member server.Thanks,Miles
November 26th, 2009 11:16am

Hi,Thanks Miles and Sainath! Sorry for my late reply. Your answers were helpful for my question. I will try to implement a member server for Hosted Cache but if there is no possibility for member server it is good to know that it is possible and supported to use Hosted Cache on DC - though not recommended.Thanks for your help!Best regards,Toni
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 3rd, 2009 11:00am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics