Win Server 2008 Added to Existing Domain
We don't have the facilities to have a separate test network w. it's own Internet connection, etc. Would I be putting our production network in any danger by adding either a beta3 or RC1 member server to our domain?
September 27th, 2007 10:04pm

Hello RichLich, If you read the software development life cycle of any software, you will Beta and Release Candidate (RC) versions are release for evaluation purposes in the real world and get a feedback from the beta testers (users, IT managers, technical communities) to enhance and fix any bugs in this software. So, its not recommended to install software whatever it is in your production environment. As I said its just for evaluation which is means its not working with its complete functionality. If you want to evaluate it and you dont have enough resources, you can install it in your production environment but dont make it play any critical role in this environment, for example; dont make it a primary DC, but you can make it a secondary DC. Also you can configure in a clustering farm to act as one clustered server between 2-3 servers. The reason of doing this is to make sure that any failure or any bug will not affect your production environment while testing the software feature.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 27th, 2007 10:38pm

Another possibility is to join the Technology Adoption Program (TAP). Your preferred Microsoft Partner and your Microsoft Regional Centerwill be able to help you with this.
September 28th, 2007 2:41pm

Were just going to fly w. this one machine and a Vista station in a domain not connected to the Internet. Many thanks to every one who contributed their comments! Rich
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 1st, 2007 3:43pm

Rich- If you're just looking to evaluate Server 2008's capabilities I suggest taking a look at Virtual PC. It's a free download and it will allow you to create virtual computers to test things like this on. Many of us have complete virtual labs, with multiple Server 2008 and Vista computers in test domain(s). Cheers, Erik
October 1st, 2007 7:08pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics