Win Server 2003 : Unable to configure DHCP on additional domain controller
i am working on lab computers before implementation in our real scnario. the problem i am facing that i am unable to configure DHCP properly on additional domain controller. infact configuration is done but if i add a new computer on the same switch with which the additional domain controller is connected it doesnt assign IP to that client computer. But if i again connect the main domain controller on the same switch then client has assigned IP address dynamically by DHCP of main DC. i want my additional domain controller to assign IP's by its different DHCP ip series. Pls help in this regard, Thanks
July 6th, 2011 1:14pm

i am working on lab computers before implementation in our real scnario. the problem i am facing that i am unable to configure DHCP properly on additional domain controller. infact configuration is done but if i add a new computer on the same switch with which the additional domain controller is connected it doesnt assign IP to that client computer. But if i again connect the main domain controller on the same switch then client has assigned IP address dynamically by DHCP of main DC. i want my additional domain controller to assign IP's by its different DHCP ip series. Pls help in this regard, Thanks
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 6th, 2011 1:41pm

Hello, please use only one thread for the same problem: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winservergen/thread/7a7993f2-9ab0-48cf-9deb-54abcc08d78cBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 6th, 2011 1:57pm

Hello, is the second DHCP server also authorized in AD? Does it use another scope to handout as the already existing one? Keep in mind that DHCP is initiated from the client and the server acts first come first serve.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 6th, 2011 1:58pm

ok sorry.
July 6th, 2011 2:03pm

Thanks, yes i have authorized the DHCP on additional domain controller as well. i have tried it with both same and different scope but it doesnt work.
July 6th, 2011 2:06pm

pls 1 thing i want to add as i am working in lab, i dont have routers available for the communication of domain controllers. thats y i have disconnected the main DC from additional DC. what i think the additional domain controller must assign dynamic IP's to its clients sepratly. is it write?
July 6th, 2011 2:09pm

Hello, if the client has already a DHCP address and the subnet is the same as it got one form before then it will keep the lease for the halt lease time before it tries to release it. So did you run ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew after changing the DHCP server?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 6th, 2011 2:14pm

Hello Weber, yes i have already join the client with main DHCP. The IP's i am using on both machines are as: Main / Primary Doamin Controller Server: IP: 10.32.0.248 ; S.M: 255.255.254.0 ; G.W:10.32.0.248 ; DNS: 10.32.0.248 For DHCP: 10.32.1.2 to 10.32.1.50 ; Subnet: 255.255.254.0 Additional Domain Controller IP: 10.32.0.250 ; S.M: 255.255.254.0 ; G.W:10.32.0.248 ; DNS: 10.32.0.250 ; A.DNS : 10.32.0.248 For DHCP: 10.32.2.2 to 10.32.2.50 ; Subnet: 255.255.255.0 i have tried using these 2 commands just right now but no success, the client doesnt assigned any IP. Regards
July 6th, 2011 2:26pm

the error shown is " an error occured while reewing interface Laocal Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP Server. Request Timed Out. Thanks
July 6th, 2011 2:33pm

Hello, if you use 10.32.2.2 to release you MUST have an additional VLAN or routed subnet that belongs to this ip range. And in that subnet or on the router a relay agent must be configured. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 6th, 2011 3:18pm

right, as i have told you i dont have any routers available for test scnario but i am sure now its because the different IP range. i have given the same range so DHCP start running. Can you please help further in VLAN configuration. can i work on different subnets each for different department by using VLAN concept? Regards
July 6th, 2011 4:36pm

Hello, as long as you have a switch that can provide VLANs. For details about configuration use the vendor forum of the switch.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 6th, 2011 4:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics