WinXP Pro to Win2K3 VPN connection not working
Client: WinXP Pro SP3Server: Win2K3 SP3VPN: MicrosoftWe have a Win2K3 SBS network in a small office that used to have both cable and DSL. We've just dropped dynamically assigned IP addresses with cable to keep our static IPs with the DSL connection. Our server's external static IP is 71.555.111.73 (not really, but...). One of our casual users has recently noticed (now that we have DSL only) that when she connects via the MS VPN that she can't see the network. Previously, she could connect via the VPN and see the network. We've set her up with an internet connection via the electrical wiring for the DSL as it also was for the cable. [We just moved the adapters from one outlet near the cable modem to the DSL modem]. The only thing that has changed is that the cable IP was dynamic and the DSL IP that she's using now is the same as the Win2K3 server's IP but (!!) her connection is via the external static IP address. When she starts to browse our network, she doesn't see the Win2K3 server at all. She sees herself and nothing on the network. (I'm not concerned about the network because she's connected to the DSL modem via the electrical wiring network). I'm concerned that she can't see the Win2K3 server.Is this because she went from a dynamic IP address with cable to a static IP address on DSL that is the same external IP address as the Win2K3 server? If it isn't what is the possible solution or direction here you'd suggest? We just recently notice this aberation so it may be related to the same DSL static IP address situation or it may not but this is the only network thing we've changed that we can remember.Would it just be more efficient (we haven't tried this yet!) to connect her to our network router and actually put her on the network? Her network needs are extremely casual so we're not wasting a lot of time on this but we'd like to solve the issue.TIA!!
January 29th, 2010 5:14am

Hi , Correct me if i am wrong Your client is using same external ip as that of another server ? which means you have assigned same public ipaddress to 2 systems ?I would suggest you to provide me unedited ipconfig /all from server as well as from the client pc which would give us a fair idea aobut your routing .Also when you perform vpn, you need to make sure to open up the relevant port ( after analyzing the security constraints ) such as 445 port , 139 port , 53 port , etc..
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 2nd, 2010 5:49am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics