Win32 exception in explorer.exe on Win Server 2008 SP2 when opening control panel
Hi - when I mouse over control panel in the start menu (I have it set to expand) and also when I click on other links in control panel explorer crashes and the debugging window shows "Win32 exception in explorer.exe". Also if I open control panel in some other way I get the same crash. In event log I see "The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted." (event 1002) I'm running Windows Server 2008 Standard SP 2 (32bit). I upgraded from Windows Server 2003. The machine is a DELL Optiplex 745. When I debug the error in Visual Studio I get "Unhandled exception at 0x04fc395b in explorer.exe: 0xC0000096: Privileged instruction." Any suggestions on how I can fix or further troubleshoot the error?
August 24th, 2010 1:11pm

Try to execute this command and check if your problem is solved or not: chkdsk /f /v
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 24th, 2010 1:23pm

If this does not work, try the following: Delete explorer.exe (It will recreate itself) Delete winlogon,exe (It will recreate itself) ran sfc/ scannow
August 24th, 2010 1:26pm

Hi Pete, for crash issues on application level, the root cause can vary. The explorer.exe crash error message is very general and collecting and analyzing dump files will be the most efficient method to pinpoint the root cause. To resolve this issue efficiently, I recommend that you open up a service request by following the wizard at http://support.microsoft.com/select/Default.aspx?target=assistance. Microsoft Customer Support Service is the best resource for this kind of issues. Hope this helps!Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 27th, 2010 10:18am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics