Win2k8 Domain Users cannot be given Admin or Power User Status on a Local Win7 Machine
I have a user that needs local admin or power user privileges to his machine. He is part of a Win2k8 server domain. I have logged in as a domain admin and tried to add his account to the proper local group (Using Local Users and Groups under manage computer) but under the location selection, only the local machine is an option. The option to set it to the domain to add domain users is not available. I have done this many times with our XP boxes but this is a first time for a newer Win7 machine. I was offered the following advice: After logging into Windows 7 with the domain account, perform the following: 1. Start Control Panel. 2. Select User Accounts icon. 3. The User Account window appears. 4. In the middle of the window, click Manage User Accounts. 5. The User Account Control window appears. 6. Provide the local administrator username and password. 7. Click Yes. 5. The User Accounts window appears. 6. Select Users tab. 7. Click Add button. 8. The Add New User window appears. 9. In User name text box, type the currently logged on user domain username. 10. In Domain text box, type the domain name. 11. Click Next 12. In What level of access do you want to grant this user pane, select a desired option, e.g. Administrator radio button. 13. Click Finish. 14. You are returned to User Accounts window and the currently logged on user is now listed in the Users for this computer list box as follows: UserName Domain Group <username> <domain_name> Administrators However the answer is just a GUI Wizard form of what I had already tried under the "Manage" section. Using the example I get " Error: The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed". If I click the browse button for the domain, I get an error " The program cannot open the required dialog box because no locations can be found". This is the same basic problem when trying to accomplish it manually. The PC is on the domain and has been for some time. Any domain user has been able to log onto this machine. I have even removed it from the domain and added it again with the same results. This one has me stumped.
December 29th, 2010 9:38pm

Hello, let's start with an unedited ipconfig /all from the DC/DNS server and the client machine. Additional i suggest to configure the local machine security groups with GPP in a separate GPO for the Windows 7 machine, that way it is a one time step and only users have to be added. The following link can also be used for another security group. http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2010/01/how-to-use-group-policy-preferences-to-secure-local-administrator-groups/Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 30th, 2010 8:59am

Hi, Does the issue occur on one Windows 7 machine and for one user only? Please check it on your side. How many NICs do you have on the problematic Windows 7 computer? If there are more than one NIC, please disable unused NIC to check the results. On the Windows 7 client, please refer to the following steps for troubleshooting first: Under "%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc", rename Hosts folder. Run command: ipconfig /flushdns If the issue persists, please help gather the following files for research: ipconfig /all > c:\ipconfig.txt (from the DC/DNS server and the client machine, you can also paste the results here) netdiag /v >c:\netdiag.txt (on problematic client) Event Log (on problematic client) ============================= 1. Click "Start", click “Run”, input "eventvwr" and press Enter. 2. Expand the "Windows Logs" node on the left pane, right-click on "Application" and click "Save All Events As"; in the pop-up window, click to choose the Desktop icon on the left frame, input "app" in the "File name" blank, and then click save. 3. Right click on "System", with the same method, save it as "sys". 4. Right click on "Security", with the same method, save it as "sec". 5. Locate the two saved log files on the Desktop and send them to us. Upload these file to the following workspace. ------------------------------------------------------------ You can upload the information files to the following link. (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft") Workspace URL: (https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=78815939-2f74-4a2b-87fd-5fb5e4d7d676) Password: %5AmyIL@sv3 Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken. Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding. Thanks. Nina This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
December 31st, 2010 3:53am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics