Win2k3 R2 Standard System Hang
Recently our server hangs after a few days of use, it becomes totally unresponsive. When you try to physically log into the console the login screen is missing, you only have a blue background and you can move the mouse cursor. The disk lights keep blinking so it appears it's still doing something except when you try to rdp or you have an existing session the desktop doesn't seem to respond to mouse interaction or keyboard input and also the taskbar is missing. We have monitored cpu, memory, network and disk usage using perfmon, everything seems normal as far as we can tell and nothing is logged in the event log when the server hangs. The only way to get the server running again is by hard resetting the server. I have found the following KB article:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969289 Which seemed to fit the bill, except the hotfix that is available for download is a much older version than the one that's installed on the server, the last update on the mrxsmb.sys is dated april 2011. The server has win2k3 r2 standard x86 with latest service pack and patches, it has the following roles, DC, DNS, DHCP, WSUS, WDS, File & Print server. We thought defective hardware was the culprit but after swapping the hardware the problems reappeared. We've been struggling with this issue for awhile now, any help would be appreciated. On a side note we have considered the anti-virus software but the virus scanner isn't logging anything strange.
June 16th, 2011 4:15pm

Hi, I know the operating system is Windows Server 2003 R2. The Clean Boot steps for Windows XP are similar for Windows Server 2003 R2. I realize that you have submit a support ticket and like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help. Regards, Arthur Li Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 30th, 2011 2:49am

Hi, I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help. Regards, Arthur Li Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 5th, 2011 5:31am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics