Win2008R2: Context Menu, Empty Document Template if outside of User folder
Hi, I installed Windows 2008 R2 in a new VM. Then I join a domain, and log in with a domain user. Lets I want to create an empty text file in C:\ABC (this folder was created by the local Admin). In Windows Explorer, Right-Click / New. The Context menu only show "Folder" as the only possible choice. However, in my own home user folder. Right click / New, shows other type of files (txt, Excel, etc.). The domain user I logged in with is member of the local admin group. I have tried to change ownership of the C:\ABC folder to this domain user. But the Right-click / New still shows an empty list of document template. Is there a way to allow this domain user to create new document on any folder other than the system folders? Thanks in advance for any help.
November 15th, 2010 12:05pm

Hi, It seems that the issue only occurs with the C:\ABC folder, right? Regarding the problem, I would like to propose the following suggestions: 1. Please log in with the local administrator and try to create a document in C:\ABC folder, see if the issue occurs the same. 2. Sometimes this can be caused by UAC, you can try to disable UAC temporarily and see if it works. 3. Check the following registry subkey: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New\ Ensure the value for (Default) is: {D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719} 4. Perform a System Restore to the previous state. 5. Please visit the following article to manually restore missing default New context menu items. How to Restore Missing Default New Context Menu Items in Vista Please note: 1. The above link is provided for technical reference, there might be some changes without notice, Microsoft doesn’t guarantee any accuracy on contacting information. 2. Though the article is written for Windows Vista, it should work in Windows Server 2008 R2 as well. If the issue persists, please run the following command to check permissions on the C:\ABC folder and paste in your reply: Icacls C:\ABC Best Regards Dale Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 16th, 2010 9:16pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics