Win2000 Servers and Services in a Win2008 Environment
Hi All,My question is sort of a mix of windows 2000 AND 2008 since it will be in an environment we are moving towards.We currently have a 2008 dc in our environment which is now hosting the five fsmo roles. We have two windows 2000 domain controllers still kicking around that we would like to decommission. One of the two dc's is running ISA/RADIUS and Certificate Servies, we are currently in 2000 native mode.My question is this. If I demote the existing 2000 DC that is running RADIUS and Certificate Services will it continue to function fine as a member server? I know these services can be installed and run fine on member servers but I want to ensure that demoting the dc will not have some kind of impact on these services until we can transition them to a 2008 server.Secondly, will RADIUS and Certificate Services running on a Windows 2000 member server in a 2008 mixed or native mode domain continue to function properly until such time as they can be migrated to 2008 servers?Thanks
May 23rd, 2008 3:08am

Hello, If I demote the existing 2000 DC that is running RADIUS and Certificate Services will it continue to function fine as a member server? I know these services can be installed and run fine on member servers but I want to ensure that demoting the dc will not have some kind of impact on these services until we can transition them to a 2008 server. Before installing a certification authority, you should configure the computer's domain settings first, such as joining a domain or promoting a server to a domain controller. These settings cannot be changed once the certification authority is installed. Install an enterprise root certification authority http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/4ffc15cf-f42f-43db-8eb9-fcd8c3102d621033.mspx If you have a enterprise root CA, demoting a domain controller with CA role will impact functioning of CA. This means if you want to demote the DC you have to move the CA role to another computer or uninstall the CA. Moving a CA to a different computer (same version of Windows Server operating system) you may refer to: How to move a certification authority to another server http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298138 For IAS, there is no reported issues after demote the domain controller to a member server. In the existing material, IAS have not a special role installed on Domain Controller. In the other word, it should works. However, I haven't perform test on my side. So make sure to do a full backup of the system before the operation. Secondly, will RADIUS and Certificate Services running on a Windows 2000 member server in a 2008 mixed or native mode domain continue to function properly until such time as they can be migrated to 2008 servers? They can continue to function in a Windows 2000 native domain. Please note that when you promote a Domain Controller in a domain that has Windows 2000 Server DCs you have to raise the domain functional level to Windows 2000 Native. Hope it helps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 26th, 2008 11:14am

Thanks Miles
May 28th, 2008 9:01pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics