Will full Unicode support in PowerShell appear one day in the future?

In my professional life, I have to handle Unicode a lot: file/folder names, user names, data in some attributes, etc

However, unsurprisingly, Unicode is very very BADLY supported in PowerShell (console).  In order to handle Unicode in PowerShell, I have got to do all sort of tricks.  For example, I have to create a PS1 file whose encoding is UTF-16 BE with BOM, and inside it, I could use Unicode characters.  But when I run such script in PowerShell console, we have but to expect a lot of "????" instead of readable characters!

Come on, we are in the 2nd decade of the 21st century and Unicode is still not supported? It's like we're using computer in the 80's. That's so archaic!

So, is Microsoft going to invest a little bit more effort to make a better, Unicode-supporting console in the future?

I've used PowerShell ISE.  Well, its Output Pane displays Unicode characters correctly, as far as I could tell.  Isn't it possible to make a light version of such ISE which only has a combined Command Pane and Output Pane?  Actually, is there any reason why I can NOT use ISE to replace PowerShell console?

PS: I know the trick to display Unicode characters in PowerShell console but that's another story....

July 23rd, 2015 7:34pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics