Will Server 2016 Essentials backup & restore both Legacy & UEFI systems

I am wondering if this has been fixed in Server 2016 Essentials TP3 or may be fixed when it RTMs

• A system disk backup from a BIOS based computer being restored to a UEFI system.
  • A system disk backup from a UEFI/GPT system being restored to a BIOS system.

Neither of those scenarios will result in a bootable computer using WHS2011.

I want to switch server OSs if this has been fixed.

August 21st, 2015 11:03pm

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 02:49:44 +0000, haole wrote:

I am wondering if this has been fixed in Server 2016 Essentials TP3 or may be fixed when it RTMs

* A system disk backup from a BIOS based computer being restored to a UEFI system.
* A system disk backup from a UEFI/GPT system being restored to a BIOS system.

Neither of those scenarios will result in a bootable computer using WHS2011.

I want to switch server OSs if this has been fixed.**

I don't believe that this is something that can be *fixed* and I think that your expectation that it can be is unrealistic. The boot methods and disk layouts between BIOS and UEFI systems are so fundamentally different that I don't see this being pos

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 22nd, 2015 2:45am

Pity that MS can't figure that out, maybe some independent person can figure it out & patent it, seems like it is a feature that is desirable.

Or maybe a piece of hardware would get it done somehow, that would need to be patented also to protect the interests of those that developed it.

Sounds like the development would be costly ($$ or time), but nothing is impossible, I've heard.

August 23rd, 2015 10:28pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics