Why windows 8.1 in WSUS 3.2.7600.262 (lastest) report wrong version OS 6.3

In the console of WSUS into a Windows server 2008 R2, i have any clients in different version XP, 7, 8 and now 8.1 but for this client version 8.1 WSUS report a wrong version Windows 6.3 like first with Windows 8 --> 6.2

Microsoft resolved the problem for wrong version in WSUS console for Windows 8 and 2012 server, but the problem appear again with 8.1 and 2012 R2.

I'm afroid because this issue is know since Windows 8.1 preview exist...

I think there is a bug that not resolved by Microsoft because i have installed the last KB for WSUS : Version

Also i googlelised this problem during 1 hour but i find nothing on this issue ?!  If in a Deutsch forum but anyone find an answer...

Thanks for your help.

October 22nd, 2013 7:38pm

This is a known issue which is already fixed in Windows Server 2012 R2, and will be fixed in the next update for WSUS 3.0 SP2.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 22nd, 2013 10:13pm

Thanks for your answer.

Good news, any idea when this update is available approximatively ?

October 23rd, 2013 10:11pm

I would echo Arnault. Any time table for an update to resolve this?
October 30th, 2013 2:58am

I'm afroid that's Microsoft take too long time for resolve this minor problem.

After one month of Windows 8.1 released, no update is publish on Microsoft Website.

So we must wait how long ?

November 20th, 2013 8:06pm

I'm afroid that's Microsoft take too long time for resolve this minor problem.

It's not even a minor problem; it's a cosmetic annoyance. How is the incorrect string in that column affecting your patch management activities?

So we must wait how long ?

Until the update is ready?
November 21st, 2013 9:19pm

The last post was in 11/2013. Do you know if this update has been released for WSUS 3.0 SP2?

January 17th, 2014 5:43pm

The last post was in 11/2013. Do you know if this update has been released for WSUS 3.0 SP2?

The update has not been released, and because this is a cosmetic issue only, you can expect that it's a low priority update and will likely not be seen until the next round of updates to WSUS motivated by a higher need.
January 18th, 2014 12:57am

We are end of January 2014, no update avalaible for Windows 2008 R2 operating System it's a basic problem... What are Microsoft Doing ?!!

January 27th, 2014 1:30pm

From October 2013, the problem isn't resolved at this time, more 3 months after...

Ok it's a cosmetic problem, but when you call you Microsoft and you are in the top ten of most systems deployed operating : this is pathetic; "What a beautiful image gives Microsoft."...

January 27th, 2014 1:45pm

From October 2013, the problem isn't resolved at this time, more 3 months after...

Ok it's a cosmetic problem, but when you call you Microsoft and you are in the top ten of most systems deployed operating : this is pathetic; "What a beautiful image gives Microsoft."...

So tell me something.... how is this minor little cosmetic issue actually affecting your ability to PATCH these machines?
February 6th, 2014 2:01am

Because for 2 reasons, first when the technicians who manage and class by operating system in WSUS console they don't know Windows 6.3 ?! (XP, 7, 8, 2003, 2008, 2008R2, 2012, 6.3 hu ??) the second is that bug exist since the Windows 8.1 preview release in june 2013, What are Microsoft Doing (8 months...) for a minor bug ? This bug don't exist with 2012 WSUS server...

Is very strange, i suppose Microsoft taken a very long time for oblige the clients to migrate from Windows 2008 to 2012 ?

Even a minor bug "a wide" Microsoft is not acceptable to wait 8 months and more... Especially without communication on this issue, no official section exist...

February 26th, 2014 9:40pm

Because for 2 reasons, first when the technicians who manage and class by operating system in WSUS console they don't know Windows 6.3 ?! (XP, 7, 8, 2003, 2008, 2008R2, 2012, 6.3 hu ??)

Then perhaps they should learn this!?

• Windows 3.1/95/98 = Windows 3.x
  • Windows NT 4.0 = Windows 4.0
  • Windows 2000 = Windows 5.0
  • Windows XP = Windows 5.1
  • Windows Server 2003 = Windows 5.2
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 = Windows 6.0
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 = Windows 6.1
  • Windows 8/Server 2012 = Windows 6.2
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2012 R2 = Windows 6.3

It ain't that hard.

Regardless, it doesn't affect the ability of the WUAgent to properly detect/report the state of the update; it doesn't affect the abilty to approve those updates for the group(s) containing the W8.1/WS2012R2 systems; and it doesn't affect the ability of the WUAgent to download and install those updates. In short, this does NOT affect the ability to deploy patches whatsoever.

the second is that bug exist since the Windows 8.1 preview release in june 2013, What are Microsoft Doing (8 months...) for a minor bug ?

Doing exactly what they should. Treating it as a minor bug. Would it surprise you to know that there are "minor bugs" in Windows XP that have never been fixed!? There are "minor bugs" in Windows 7 that are never going to get fixed. There are "minor bugs" in every piece of software on the globe that are never going to get fixed!

This bug don't exist with 2012 WSUS server...

Correct. WSUS v6.2 was properly coded to recognize W8/WS2012 systems; WSUS v6.3 has a bug and does not properly recognize W8.1/WS2012R2 systems. Nobody is denying that point.

Is very strange, i suppose Microsoft taken a very long time for oblige the clients to migrate from Windows 2008 to 2012 ?

I'm not really sure where this train of thought is coming from, but it really has nothing to do with this conversation.

Are you aware that there are WSUS Admins who still don't know there was an update released in May, 2012, that is a mandatory update for WSUS v3.2 and contains a mandatory upgrade for the Windows Update Agent? With so many people oblivious to CRITICAL updates for the WSUS server, it's no doubt particularly difficult to get juiced up over yet-another update package, just to fix a string value that doesn't display the way you'd like it to. Hell it's not even incorrect, it's absolutely accurate! You just don't like it, correct? But that's not the reason, it's just an observation of how absolutely trivial this complaint really is, IMNSHO.

Even a minor bug "a wide" Microsoft is not acceptable to wait 8 months and more...

Most of the global software development community would fundamentally disagree with this opinion. See my previous comments about the plethora of "minor bugs" in all of the software all over the globe that will never get fixed.

Especially without communication on this issue

Huh? There has been communication. I have posted in this thread, and a WSUS Program Manager has posted in another thread. The issue is a **COSMETIC** issue, which seems (for the moment) to be annoying only a very few people, and it will be fixed in the NEXT PATCH PACKAGE for WSUS v3.2 -- whenever that becomes necessary and appropriate. Nobody has denied the bug exists; nobody has said it won't get fixed  (in fact, it's been explicitly agreed that it will be fixed). The only thing that's not been stated is when the fix will be released.

In the meantime, I would think you have more productive things to do than lose sleep and expend wasted typing effort over the trivial differences between the string "Windows 6.3" and "Windows Server 2012 R2". I know I certainly do!

February 27th, 2014 8:25am

Might be this guide will help you..
March 5th, 2014 8:37am

Lawrence - I appreciate your answers to the folks that posted their problems.  But I tend to agree with the OP that it IS annoying!

If it IS such a simple cosmetic fix, then my view is just FIX IT!  Sure, I can update all my machines, and it doesn't have ANY effect on the operational system, but it is a VERY visible 'bug'.

Just sayin' - if something is so trivial, it should be DONE already :-)

Doug

April 10th, 2014 7:15pm

Hi Lawrence, 8 months afeter no update are available for fix this issue ?

So i understand you are a Microsoft Pro me too but i'm objective. You are not "on the daily field" i just explain that when you class by OS Under WSUS console isn't logic for all IT technician (25) in my organization (we have a lot of site with WSUS Server).

Example :

Windows NT 4
Windows 8
Windows 7
Windows XP SP3
Windows Vista
Windows 6.3 ????? (Windows 8.1 = Windows 6.3 isn't logic for IT technician beginner and...) I know is NT core version not OS version is different...)

We have sent an email to all IT technician to inform the table of OS versions correspondance...

If some users use an alternative for fix it (given by Doug, many thanks) it proves that it's embarrassing and it affects many users.

I have created this post for improve Microsoft product and their utilization.

April 19th, 2014 4:33pm

There are a number of fixes for this:

1. upgrade to Windows Server 2012 R2 WSUS

2. don't deploy Windows 8.1, why such a rush from Windows 8 they're practically the same system

3. if your technicians don't know the underlying kernel version of an OS then I would suggest to fire them and rehire new technicians as they are all just pretending to be technicians

4. why do they need to know Windows 8.1 instead of Windows 6.3, open up windows update and click to update - the system does it all for you, show them how to click buttons

I have to agree with Lawrence on this, it is a minor cosmetic issue and you really should get back to doing more important things in your day, i would love a job where i could spend all day worrying about the label of an OS description but some of us have real work to do. I looked up this issue because we have recently updated a few machines to 8.1, it displays as 6.3 and I thought "I wonder if there's a patch yet like they did for the previous versions" it appears not, i was going to get back to eating my lunch but I got distracted by this incredibly trivial conversation.

Steve

May 14th, 2014 3:40pm

This fixes it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2938066

July 9th, 2014 6:06am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics