Why there is no full-screen on maximizing Windows shells?

Following steps:

• Open Cmd or PoweShell in Windows 8.
  • Type in wmic,
  • Maximize
  • Type in exit (just once)
  • Start working in full screen

..led me to work in fullscreen mode in Windows shells (CMD/PS).

My question is, why doesn't tech guys provide full-screen support right away (on maximize or via shortcut (Alt+Enter))? Is there any legacy constraint which makes it so impossible to implement or its just another "we think you don't need it, therefore its by design" kind of reas

May 13th, 2013 8:26am

Hi McCoy,

I think this would a nice feature specially for the core server :-D

What i use to get the PS in "Fullscreen" is the command "mode 300" which does the same as you wmic. :-)

Greetings Malte

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 13th, 2013 2:28pm

command "mode 300"

Works, great!

Thx, wizend

May 13th, 2013 3:17pm

That doesn't truly full-screen it, though. The mode command lets you set the columns (and lines) for the screen buffer, and the displayed window will be sized to match within the limits of the physical screen. But it definitely is a handy way to get a larger screen from within the console window itself.
May 13th, 2013 6:56pm

on my (dual monitor) system, that command makes the window a bit too wide, pushing the vertical scroll bar and a bit of the text area onto the second monitor. If I move the window there before the mode 300 command, it does a better job, but in one case it always left the prompt scrolled off the bottom. Then if I move it back to the primary monitor it seems to fill the available space completely. Definitely has potential, but needs a bit of playing around with...
May 13th, 2013 9:27pm

on my (dual monitor) system, that command makes the window a bit too wide, pushing the vertical scroll bar and a bit of the text area onto the second monitor. If I move the window there before the mode 300 command, it does a better job, but in one case it always left the prompt scrolled off the bottom. Then if I move it back to the primary monitor it seems to fill the available space completely. Definitely has potential, but needs a bit of playing arou
May 17th, 2013 2:12pm

the full MODE command syntax it:

mode con[:] [cols=c] [lines=n]

mode 300 would seem to set the number of columns to 300 and the number of lines to the available height of the screen. I'm guessing that the 300 was chosen to be large enough so that it would be truncated to the width of the screen, as mode 400 appears to gives the same result. still not sure why it assumes the width of the screen is a few columns wider than it really is...

May 17th, 2013 5:26pm

"we think you don't need it, therefore its by design"

You got that right!

Even small utilities like PuTTY provides maximizing support on Windows. Do we really need to even ask as if its some kind of a feature! and its being what.. 18-20 years now! And yet we are hopeless that they will ever spare few hours to improve Windows CLI..

The way I see it, its like one of those final/advanced assignments of "Introduction to Computing" course: "Flush and repaint the display buffer". Well technically, one can hook HDC and get done with it with more elegance.

Unless its coming from one of those Microsoft partners, they don't care what we think! Apparently there is no room for CLI in Windows re-imagined campaign.  So don't get your hopes too high.

• Edited by mewzical Sunday, May 19, 2013 9:41 PM
May 19th, 2013 9:40pm

Alt+Enter works in Windows 10 :) Covers up everything. The new shell is nice.
July 28th, 2015 6:13pm

mode con:cols=16 lines=2
July 29th, 2015 8:35am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics