Why not Windows Server First?
Whether Microsoft uses Linux server to protect himself? I do not think so. Please let me know. Is there anyone who could give me a simple answer! I have seen that many organizations uses Linux Server as the back bone or main purpose behind the database or system. If they use Windows server then it is only for user friendly daily task and custom rules for clients. I have asked the IT Pros. Why? They have replied me that Windows has lack of security. Now my question is, Microsoft is a company providing lot of download world wide (Product base) with their internal and external website uses and their own daily works. They also have huge security issues. Do they use any Linux server? If not then how could Microsoft protect him self while the other IT pros depends on Linux? The question came in my mind, because I am a beginner in IT world (completing my B.Sc in Engineering) and want to be a Network Administrator. Peoples are asking me to learn Linux server first instead of Windows Server 2008 R2, because maximum company uses Linux-Unix based server system in our country (Bangladesh) instead of windows server? They are also suggesting me to learn ubuntu. I have always be familiar with Microsoft product instead of other i.e. >> Windows 95/98/XP/7 instead of Mac or others. I have always used IE 6/7/8 (testing ie 9 beta) instead of Opera/chrome/Mozilla etc, MS office instead of Open Office. Now, why I have force to learn Linux instead of Windows server first? Does their statement true that Windows Server will fail to give the proper security in large and sensitive security system like Bank, Insurance, Share Market, and Telecommunication, etc? Then I won’t wish to spend my time to learn Linux or anything else.Noman Fayez
January 29th, 2011 4:53am

The preceived lack of security comes from nothing more than Microsoft providing the most widely used operating system for over 30 years. More users, means more of a target for people that what to do harm. Think about it, if you want to do harm to you go after Linux users? No, not because they have great security, but because they are so few in numbers in comparison. If you want to cause trouble and be successfull at it you will target the biggest number of users. What OS to learn is more about knowing what companies need/are looking for. If most of your companies use linux and ubuntu then its very wise to learn it, it makes you a good person to hire to the largest number of companies. That would be wise advice for any person getting into the job market. In general always focus your skills to the most widely used OS and software packages, it will keep you employeed. Niche expertise is nice, and profitable, but is not always marketable. Frankly, security at large business isn't done by Linux or Widnows. Its done by dedicated appliances like Cisco ASA, Checkpoint firewall, blue coat. Large business's don't waste money by relying on an OS firewall to protect them, they get dedicated and very reliable hardware appliances. Why, they don't have an OS that have development tools available to the public....thus making exploits very hard to develop. Large=Multi-billion dollar compaines. Beware of people that have not worked in these type of types companies giving you advice about what large companies do.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 29th, 2011 6:00pm

I have visited Microsoft ar March, 2010 and talked to their security staff during security training sessions. MS does not use Linux for protection. Linux is not able to do all the stuff they use, but Server 2008 R2 does. Nowadays security is not an OS choice question but trained personnel. Most of hacker intrusion and virus infection issues would be impossible if computers were administered by security-trained people. Yes, Windows became too popular and too easy to use, so many people have decided that they are able to maintain the system without an appropriate education. The lack of security comes from that people. Yiou can spend some time learning linux to become familiar with appliances like routers running linux-like systems, but not too much. Pay more attention to Windows Server. Learn Windows first. MCITP: Enterprise Administrator; MCT; Microsoft Security Trusted Advisor; CCNA
January 30th, 2011 4:08am

Thank You! Your advices will be helpful for me in my career.Noman Fayez
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 2nd, 2011 8:39am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics