Why is my Server 2008 server losing IPs on reboot?
We currently run a Windows Server 2008 x64 server with SP2. For the last couple of months we have been having a very frustrating problem. Whenever the server is rebooted, the majority of the IPv4 addresses on the server become unbound. They will show up in the Network Configuration GUI, but are not there when you run an ipconfig. The only solution is to remove each IP from Network Configuration manually, save, open network configuration again, re-add the IP, then save again. We recently added a new PCI-E NIC, thinking that it might be a hardware problem, but that did not seem to affect the issue at all. I was able to find some information today about a new persistent/active mode being added in Windows 7/Server 2008, where addresses could be set to "active" via netsh and they would disappear on reboot, which seems related to what we are experiencing. However, the limited information I could find on that seemed to refer to DHCP, and we aren't using DHCP at all on the server. Has anybody else experienced this issue?
January 14th, 2010 12:21am

Hypetech, There are a couple of things that can cause this type of type of problem, but from my experience, if you have network teaming on the box, there is a good chance this is the culprit. If you do have it, uninstall it, not just disable it (usually this is done on the properties of the NIC, "HP configuration utility" is an example of how this may show up). After trying that I would make sure I have the latest network drivers, rebooting and testing again, I would do one of two things. 1: The first option is to enable auditing on the registry keys that store the IP configuration info. This will hopefully tell us what service is changing the IP data. Here is the parent key where the data is stored: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces Under this key you will find a number of interface IDs (GUIDs). To find the one you are looking for, set the IP through the UI and then look here for the correlating IP. Then use this article as an explanation on how to enable auditing (audit everything): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757250(WS.10).aspx 2: Chances are that a third party application is likely the cause of the problem. One way to work out which one is causing the problem is to use MSConfig (enter name at run prompt to launch). On the services tab check the box for "hide all Microsoft services". Then go through them one by one (or in programmatic groups) to work out when it works and when it fails. Hopefully this will at least point us to the application causing the problem. If you need extra help, you can reach us at: InitialAssist@cbfive.com See my blogs at http://www.cbfive.com/blog /Jared
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 13th, 2010 10:33am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics